• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 garden thread

BEREZKA

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
Big mistakes to not make

Biosolids: biosolids are dried out waste from sewage processing. It contains all the nice chemicals, and trash thats screened out during water treatment. Do not use fertilizer or soil with biosolids

Tires- dont use tires to hold soil for growing food. Lots of heavy metals and very cancer causing materias will leach into the soil for your produce

Treated wood (pallets, 2x4's): will leach cancer causing chemicals into your plants.

Understanding soil:

I really cant tell you how important it is for your soil to be alive. This video applied to your garden planning will put you miles ahead of people who use chemical fertilizer and make their dirt an exclusion zone

Planting in clay soil:

Compost basics

Fruit trees and "chill hours"
6376fa05e30690c79669de08cc27b455.jpg

Chill hours in your area: http://weather.uga.edu/mindex.php?content=ch

Pruning

Common Native fruit bearing plants

Persimmons:

*Asian persimmons are better table fare

Pawpaw:

Blackberry- you can just go dig them up from the side of the road. They do well as they are evolutionary accustomed to the weather of this AG zone

Rasberry- more common in mountainous areas. Pikes nursery has them on hand more often than not

Tomatoes are already 6 inches tall and put in larger cups this past week. Peppers doing great so far in the sprouting trays. Not sure which varieties this year, the wife is the expert, but we always do Thai chilis, serrano, cayenne and jalapenos. Had peppers coming out of our ears last year, enough to give some away to friends. All heirloom seeds...

I haven't started anything this year due to my hip replacement. Going to pull soil samples this week and then trim my muscadines. I will start some seeds in the next 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom