• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser First Look - starts in the mid-$50,000 range

Well....there are only 2 ways to cool a turbo....water, or oil....not sure about why you would think a diesel turbo would be superior to a gas turbo, unless your are talking about the engine, then, I would have to agree...if these engines shut down while stopped at lights, then, NO fluid is going to run through the turbo to cool it, while sitting there...yes, it's not running at the time either, however it was just running, and being heated by the exhaust which was just driving it...Mack engines require three minuets of idle run time prior to engine shutdown, to cool the turbo....I only speak of Mack trucks as that is what we used in our business in the 70's & 80's
Gas engines aren't built as strong as diesel engines. Therefore to produce more power out of a gas engine, you're putting a lot more wear on that engine. Power also produces heat, another negative effect on an already inferior design. Don't get me wrong both fuel types have their strong points. For a gas motor, I'm driving that for throttle performance. So I like the power on tap at anytime, no turbo lag. If I'm driving a diesel, I'm driving that for fuel economy, longer maintenance intervals and less stops at the pump. Under the right circumstances, either engine will last the same. But you can get a lot more hard work out of a diesel with better fuel economy

It is amazing what sells in the American car market. Buyers want a big vehicle that gets good mileage for a luxury family car. 4 wheel drive and a tow package that is never to seldom used is a must have. Carmakers have to build them out of plastic and aluminum to meet the size and gas mileage requirements buyers demand.....4 cylinder hybrid turbo for the win :car:. I hope the proven Tacoma's , Camry's,1st and 2nd gen Tundra's hang around for a long time.

Just think they missed an opportunity to tap into the Wrangler & Bronco market. Toyota doesn't need another small 4 cylinder car based suv.

A new smallish 4Runner with a full frame, V6 & 4 cylinder (maybe a diesel too) options and true off road capability, would be a serious competitor. How many new Broncos and Wranglers do you see every day....? I see a lot.
It’s not car based. It’s body on frame RWD.

Gas engines aren't built as strong as diesel engines. Therefore to produce more power out of a gas engine, you're putting a lot more wear on that engine. Power also produces heat, another negative effect on an already inferior design. Don't get me wrong both fuel types have their strong points. For a gas motor, I'm driving that for throttle performance. So I like the power on tap at anytime, no turbo lag. If I'm driving a diesel, I'm driving that for fuel economy, longer maintenance intervals and less stops at the pump. Under the right circumstances, either engine will last the same. But you can get a lot more hard work out of a diesel with better fuel economy
that's what I figured you were getting at

A little new LC inspiration...

IMG_8827.jpg

Back
Top Bottom