• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

208gr ELD over RL-17 in .308 Win?

whiskeydeltatango

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
77   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT,

I've searched the net trying to find a good starting place for this load work-up. Here's where some of you more experienced guys can help me. Most of the loads I've found are anywhere between 44-49gr but they are all loading long COAL (2.92"+). I'm restricted to 2.8725 COAL in my mags. How much will my shorter COAL effect the load?

I cant find published data for this combo. Contacted Alliant and they couldn't help me either. My Berger manual has the 210VLD at 39 - 42gr max but that seems low compared to all the other data I've found for the 208. Just trying to find a safe place to start.

Thanks for any help, Will

Rem 700. 22" barrel. 1-10.

If you start at the bottom end, I seriously doubt the deeper seating is going to cause pressure issues. You will probably not be able to reach the max listed load though. Just look for pressure signs as you go up.

Rosewood

Berger VLD bullets like to be seated long . Berger suggest right to the edge of the rifling . You may consider loading these long and single feeding them as Berger suggest instead of loading these to magazine length . What is the goal ?

Seating a bullet deeper does increase pressure !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct, so does seating too long and jamming it into the rifling. However, starting at the bottom end of published data shouldn't be an issue. Pressure wise it is is usually 10k or more below max. If he is worried, go ahead and drop a couple of extra grains to be safe.

Rosewood

This is odd. I just checked the Hodgdon webpage and all of their load data for the 208 grain is at 2.820" OAL. Wonder why Alliant is longer.

This is odd. I just checked the Hodgdon webpage and all of their load data for the 208 grain is at 2.820" OAL. Wonder why Alliant is longer.

Alliant doesn't have publIshed data on this load, that's the problem.

How much difference could the load data for the for the Berger 210vld vs the Hornady 208eld? Both are long low drag bullets...

do you have to use the 210 ? I would treat the 2 listed above as damn near the same. As always start low and work your way up.

What is the OAL of the Berger bullet itself? If it is the same or longer than the 208, there shouldn't be a pressure problem as the "combustion chamber" volume will be same or more. I would go with the Berger Data Then. You can start with the Berger data and if it seems low pressure, you can gradually increase it 0.5grains at a time as long as you see no pressure signs. I have found various reloading manuals that will have the max in one and be the starting in the other. The manuals are not consistent by any means. That is why you have to start low and work up.

Rosewood

Berger VLD bullets like to be seated long . Berger suggest right to the edge of the rifling . You may consider loading these long and single feeding them as Berger suggest instead of loading these to magazine length . What is the goal ?

My goal is to have a mag fed round similar to the 175smk but with more wind-buck. The difference in speed and increased BC should send them on similar trajectories.

Back
Top Bottom