• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading for 308 win SA

One last thing - if you want to go the extreme accuracy route (I kind of suspect you don't, since you're talking about firing a semi-auto) then a small base die is unlikely to give you the precision you could expect from brass sized with a full length die.
Not sure what you mean by extreme accuracy, but probably not. However, I do want to have the confidence and ability to shoot moa or thereabout out to 400-500 yards, w a bolt action. I'm not married to a semi-autos, it's just that 308 is what I want to learn how to reload w first, and this is the rig in 308 I currently have. I'll be using it for woods hunting and practice, and figured it'll make a good testbed for my reloading process.

I have used standard full length dies for years. No need for small.base in Saami chamber.
I use a Lee factory crimp die as a separate action. I don't like seating and crimping in the same stroke.

Also, I shot semi.a loooong time without crimping. If your dies resize the neck right you should have enough tension to avoid setback. I did same in a hk91 that is pretty violent action.
Appreciate it. I'd seen some stuff online suggesting crimping isn't necessary for 308. I'm gona find out.

Not sure what you mean by extreme accuracy, but probably not. However, I do want to have the confidence and ability to shoot moa or thereabout out to 400-500 yards, w a bolt action. I'm not married to a semi-autos, it's just that 308 is what I want to learn how to reload w first, and this is the rig in 308 I currently have. I'll be using it for woods hunting and practice, and figured it'll make a good testbed for my reloading process.

Appreciate it. I'd seen some stuff online suggesting crimping isn't necessary for 308. I'm gona find out.

If your aim eventually is to use a bolt gun for what is starting to 'get out there' range-wise, and you have a specific firearm in mind, that's an argument in support of going for a full-length die rather than a small-base . As SOLGardener SOLGardener notes, you can expect modern guns - especially non-autoloaders - to accept SAAMI spec ammo without a problem.

Lots of people consider 308 to be good out to 800-1000 yards with a good quality gun, ammo and if the nut behind the bolt is up to the task. For 400-500 yards, you're going to be able with a little practice to make ammo capable of tight groupings, and I'd call that medium-long range rather than extreme.

I am getting ready to start my 308 reloading and I read where a guy did quite a bit of load development and was able to replicate the Federal Gold Medal Match, Sierra OTM ammo. Now all barrels are different but his load was 42.3 gr. of RE-15 under a 168 gr. OTM projectile. I am going to start there and work from that. Federal GMM is the most accurate shelf ammo I have ever used. Expensive but accurate!

Good luck finding RL15.

Full length dies are fine you probably won’t need small base dies. Yes you can accomplish both with a regular full length die but pushing the shoulder back .002 and resizing the neck works your brass the least helping with brass uniformity. I wouldn’t worry much about crimp if you’re looking for accuracy.

I am not sure of what kind of reloading press/setup you have but I recommend a single stage if you don't already have one.
Rcbs, Hornady, Lyman or most any other will probably work fine. I have been using Rcbs for over 40 years.

Rcbs single stage press, just arrived today. Natchez has or had a great deal on the rebel. Currently figuring out dies. Thinking Rcbs or Forster

I have used hornady dies for some time. I like the bullet guide thingy. I had the only stuck cases with ribs dies, but use an ribs press.

Also hornady one shot or Dillon spray lube, or make your own with isopropyl and lanolin.

Rcbs single stage press, just arrived today. Natchez has or had a great deal on the rebel. Currently figuring out dies. Thinking Rcbs or Forster
Forster are expensive for what they are Rcbs are fine Redding would be a step up. Wilson or Whidden dies are some of the best I’ve used other than custom dies.

Back
Top Bottom