• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 mag for snakes?

I've never shot a snake with the snake shot or rat shot loads made by CCI

but I have tested them against cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, steel soup cans, cups of water, and even hotdogs!

I tested them in 22 long rifle, 22 magnum, and 38/357.

I don't have any confidence that the rimfire would immediately incapacitate a snake unless you shot from less than 4 feet away, which would put you in the strike danger zone.

The .38 spl shotshells use significantly larger pellets (#9 vs. # 12) and a bigger payload of them. They penetrate deeper and I think they would work on the snake maybe out to 10 feet.

So, I would much prefer to take a 38 special revolver out into the woods for snake medicine than a .22 rimfire revolver.

All sound like good solutions. When I go to the farm, I carry a lightweight 357 snub. The first round is a 38 shotshell. It has worked very well. And then you have larger rounds for other animals as needed. Other idea are a 44 or 45 in same configuration. I've just never wanted to spend the premium for that. That's my workday or small game hunting setup. If I'm deer hunting, I carry a 44mag handgun

Back
Top Bottom