• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22 mag for snakes?

Buy a cheap 12 or 20 gauge, cut it to about 18.25-18.5 inches, cut the buttstock. Make sure it’s overall length is over 26 inches. Then rig a sling onto it. 12-20 gauge will definitely chop a mfer in half!!! Practice with it, whenever you can.

I appreciate ya'll giving some advice, think I will go with a bond arms or a light weight 38

Check both out and see what you’ll actually carry. I had a Bond arms for years, great gun but it’s also a brick. For the same size/weight you could carry a snub nose. The mini revolvers are about pocket knife size and are great for 5th pocket carry.

No matter what you get, pattern it at a couple distances before you carry it. The rifling can give a doughnut style spread at distance.

Check both out and see what you’ll actually carry. I had a Bond arms for years, great gun but it’s also a brick. For the same size/weight you could carry a snub nose. The mini revolvers are about pocket knife size and are great for 5th pocket carry.

No matter what you get, pattern it at a couple distances before you carry it. The rifling can give a doughnut style spread at distance.
I appreciate it, good advice

Those cheap double-barrel .410 /.45 long Colt pisols....

the ugly gray phosphate coated ones that look as ugly as the Liberator pistol and used to cost something like $99 back when the company that made them was still in business....

are REAL snake killers. I've tested one of those with small birdshot maybe #6,
a 3 inch shell fired at a hand drawn target of a snake.
From about 15 feet it would've cut the snake in half. A hundred pellets in (or thru) that snake with one shot.

Based on my test of shooting that little three or 4 inch barreled break open handgun with 410 shot shells,

shooting at plastic bottles and tin cans and scrap lumber,

I think it's got way more penetration than the CCI plastic-capsule 38/357 load

3FE27965-0A12-4114-80A6-1FC688FE0787.jpeg

One of these. Crude. Ugly. Stiff action.
Awful trigger pull.
But at 10-20 feet, it should TEAR UP any snake, even a thick-bodied rattler or cottonmouth.

Any 22 is great snake medicine, but you have to hit them! In the head, can you? In my younger days that's all I used, can't shoot that well anymore. Now I have a Charter 44 bulldog with shot shells just for riding on the tractor or walking. When I was younger I also trained by taken a 4 or 5 foot hose or rope when I went shooting, got so that I could hip shoot and put all the rounds into what would be the head section, and yes 22 was much cheaper in the late 70's and I wasted a lot getting there.

View attachment 6468621

One of these. Crude. Ugly. Stiff action.
Awful trigger pull.
But at 10-20 feet, it should TEAR UP any snake, even a thick-bodied rattler or cottonmouth.

The "safety" is cumbersome, to say the least, and the trigger pinches the crap out of the loose skin on my trigger finger. You've got to REALLY want to kill the snake to shoot it - but from 10 feet away everything inside a 8-10" circle is pulverized.

I paid $80 out the door for my single shot 'back in the day'.

Back
Top Bottom