.22 vs .45 for defense

BTW, does anyone see an upside to Billy Badass on the video using a suppressor for an SD gun? I mean, I guess it could save your eardrums, but if I'm shooting a home invader, etc., I want to be damn sure the neighbors hear the noise and call the police. Like some earlier posts allude to, it seems like a .22 pistol with a suppressor is more of an offensive than a defensive weapon.

00 buck and this would be a different story.

Oh yeah. Likely closed casket because they couldn't recover enough of the head. But that is my point, when choosing a weapon for self-defense a proper loading for the job is as important as a proper caliber and platform.

BTW, does anyone see an upside to Billy Badass on the video using a suppressor for an SD gun? I mean, I guess it could save your eardrums, but if I'm shooting a home invader, etc., I want to be damn sure the neighbors hear the noise and call the police. Like some earlier posts allude to, it seems like a .22 pistol with a suppressor is more of an offensive than a defensive weapon.

I know guys who had suppressors on their home defense guns. Of course most of them are running them on ARs so there is still going to be a decent bang out of the end of the gun, just not as bad, but that is neither here nor there. As far as the neighbor comment, I really wouldn't want to rely on my neighbors, even though my current ones I trust, to call the police when someone is coming into my house. A lot of people when hearing a loud noise just ignore them unless they know what they or what they mean and even then in a area where your neighbors may be close enough to hear and distinguish a gunshot coming from your house they very well may figure on another calling the police because they don't want to get involved, or they call you figuring the nut next door had an AD. I don't rely on the police to protect me. Calling the cops is fine, but generally they aren't there to prevent a crime, they come in to clean up the mess.

I know guys who had suppressors on their home defense guns. Of course most of them are running them on ARs so there is still going to be a decent bang out of the end of the gun, just not as bad, but that is neither here nor there. As far as the neighbor comment, I really wouldn't want to rely on my neighbors, even though my current ones I trust, to call the police when someone is coming into my house. A lot of people when hearing a loud noise just ignore them unless they know what they or what they mean and even then in a area where your neighbors may be close enough to hear and distinguish a gunshot coming from your house they very well may figure on another calling the police because they don't want to get involved, or they call you figuring the nut next door had an AD. I don't rely on the police to protect me. Calling the cops is fine, but generally they aren't there to prevent a crime, they come in to clean up the mess.

Your point is well-taken, but, in this scenario, I wouldn't be relying on the police, otherwise I wouldn't have the gun in the first place. I'm simply stating that, in a life-or-death, I want to have all possible advantages, and my neighbors are sufficiently close that they'd probably hear the gunshot (at least if I was using a non-suppressed, non-.22 weapon). While you're right that you can't absolutely count on someone calling the police over a gunshot, I'd rather keep that possibility open than foreclose it with an unnecessary accessory that costs a bunch more. Also, I feel like you're losing a bit of the intimidation factor with a suppressor: if I don't hit the bad guy on the first shot, I'd want the muzzle blast and sound from a non-suppressed weapon for deterrent effect. Oh, and lastly, for my home defense weapon (the mighty 12ga, 3" #00 buck), the only places I ever see suppressors are on videogames and Sons of Guns.

Your point is well-taken, but, in this scenario, I wouldn't be relying on the police, otherwise I wouldn't have the gun in the first place. I'm simply stating that, in a life-or-death, I want to have all possible advantages, and my neighbors are sufficiently close that they'd probably hear the gunshot (at least if I was using a non-suppressed, non-.22 weapon). While you're right that you can't absolutely count on someone calling the police over a gunshot, I'd rather keep that possibility open than foreclose it with an unnecessary accessory that costs a bunch more. Also, I feel like you're losing a bit of the intimidation factor with a suppressor: if I don't hit the bad guy on the first shot, I'd want the muzzle blast and sound from a non-suppressed weapon for deterrent effect. Oh, and lastly, for my home defense weapon (the mighty 12ga, 3" #00 buck), the only places I ever see suppressors are on videogames and Sons of Guns.

I'm not worried about intimidation, in fact that is the very last thing on my list of needs. If I am holding the gun they have already given me cause to use force and the only thing they are going to see is a very bright light when I hit the pressure switch for my light to identify the target before I make the final decision to shoot. Also, with intimidation, you are assuming a rational person and that you are giving them a fighting chance to see what you are going to shoot them with.

There was a study years ago by Evan Marshall [ret.police I think] of one shot stops.He compiled a list of all police shootings 357 mag was top 97% next 45 acp. But back then that was what most carried.

Back
Top Bottom