• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.22 vs .45 for defense

Well, if you decide on .22LR for a carry caliber, make sure you practice a lot.

Anybody seen a box of .22 self defense ammo for sale? Didn't think so.

Somebody email Red Jacket and get them on it.

i like how he references mossad using 22's... albeit true and very effective... the typically come up point blank and dump a mag in your chest.

"hello arab friend... do you have cigarette?" ... blam blam blam blam blam blam

"let me get door for you arab friend since you have grocery" .... blam blam blam blam blam blam

of course it works for them... they hold all the cards on their hits including the big one "surprise"

but I will keep my .45

i like how he references mossad using 22's... albeit true and very effective... the typically come up point blank and dump a mag in your chest.

"hello arab friend... do you have cigarette?" ... blam blam blam blam blam blam

"let me get door for you arab friend since you have grocery" .... blam blam blam blam blam blam

of course it works for them... they hold all the cards on their hits including the big one "surprise"

but I will keep my .45

I wondered about that. I've heard a lot of people say the 22 was the most popular handgun for mafia hitmen. But for a mafia hitman he wanted something small and concealable where he could walk up to you and put a round through your skull. I bet that would be pretty effective.

I wondered about that. I've heard a lot of people say the 22 was the most popular handgun for mafia hitmen. But for a mafia hitman he wanted something small and concealable where he could walk up to you and put a round through your skull. I bet that would be pretty effective.

22's are widely used with contract hits b/c they are inherently quiet even without a suppressor... back of someones skull or pressed up against their chest its going to sound like someone dropped a book in the next room

Last edited:
Not 22LR, but there is this:
http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/

If I was carrying 22 for defense for whatever reason, I'd probably stick to Mini-Mags or Stingers.

Yeah, I thought about googling it before I posted that, but who fact checks? This is the internet! ;)

By the way- I know what everyone thinks about mini mags, but the ones i've chrono'ed are not that fast. Very consistent, but not fast. Stingers are a different story... Go with the stingers.

Effective to a point, they also usually carried .22 revolvers though and some even carried .22 shorts. However they were never a guaranteed kill. I remember one where a hitman tried to off an FBI informant, think he shot the man in the back of the head four or five time, the guy turned around and about beat him senseless. Another incident a neighbor of another guy I've known for a while shot an intruder in the face with a 12 gauge and surprisingly he lived, though he lost and eye, number six shot rabbit load, about twenty yards, trump that up to not using the right loading for the job so while shot placement is important the proper loading does help.

Another incident a neighbor of another guy I've known for a while shot an intruder in the face with a 12 gauge and surprisingly he lived, though he lost and eye, number six shot rabbit load, about twenty yards, trump that up to not using the right loading for the job so while shot placement is important the proper loading does help.

00 buck and this would be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom