• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223/556 Brass question

mojoween

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
270   0
Reaction score
I have (TZZ/TZ/IMI..same stuff), LC, PPU, and WCC brass that I will be reloading. I have already reamed the pockets and they are sorted. Please rank these 4 types of brass by what you believe is the best quality as I'm really not sure whats the best. My best guess would be:

1 TZZ-IMI
2 LC
3 WCC
4 PPU

It's according to many's application. I've used all but the IMI for AR's.

Lake City will be the most desirable for most. Winchester's milspec brass is also very well regarded.

When osama was first crowned king post 08, I bought a bunch of PPU brass that performs great too.

For most, I believe Bypass nailed the popularity by brand.

If it is all just to shoot FMJ's for standard accuracy I don't see where it would matter. But if you are working up match loads then the previous list is what I would go by also. JMO

A piece of brass is a piece of brass is a piece of brass, you have mil brass and commercial brass within that though.

Commercial brass usually has slightly more volume meaning you can get a little more powder in it.

Mil brass is a little thicker compared to commercial and usually has a little less volume meaning not as much powder can be shoved in there.

Same powder loads in mil brass and commercial brass and the mill will probably be a little hotter, but you can put more powder in the commercial brass to get the same results.

That being said, fill your cases with water and pour it out and weigh it, that will give you the volume...sorry your cases by volume and see how close they are.

Winchester is usally more concentric. Meaning wall thickness is more uniform all the way around. My Neco case gauge proved this with my different brands of brass.

Back
Top Bottom