• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223/556 for Pigs

I've used many different 5.56/223 projectiles to kill pigs over the years. I reload my own. Never FMJ, mainly because it's illegal to hunt with non-expanding projectiles; but wouldn't anyways.

69, 70, 75 gr in HPBT, A-max, Nosler, Barnes, Remington, and Speer will get the job done.

I've shot some big boars and it was always the same bullet story. Good penetration, even through the plate, and partial to full seperation of the jacket from the core. They would generally pass through or be stuck inside the hide.

I hunt Fort Stewart and there can be some sounders of 10-15 hogs. I load a 20rd Pmag in the rifle and keep a 30rd in my back pocket.

6 years of AR hunting for hogs and I've only ever loaded the 2nd mag once and killed 10+ hogs a couple of times in 1 sounder.

I’ve heard great stories from guys using federal fusion rounds but I had to rethink that after shooting a buck broadside at 100 yards with a solid lung shot.
It dropped him immediately but he did not die right away.
I had to take a head shot after he ran upon my approach on foot.
Once he was down I noticed a very small entry wound in the chest cavity but no exit wound.
The internal damage was not impressive.
This was a 6.8spc cartridge.

Fusion has worked perfectly for me this weekend. Got 2 last night with it. Shot them in the ear and they didn’t move an inch. Shot one about an hour ago same result. And I’m shooting suppressed. Fusion works well for me!

This is my boar from last night.
D3579597-2ED2-45A7-9BD8-F7FB698AF9CD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom