• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.223 case length....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I am doing my first .223 loads and have a noob question:

Both before and after sizing, my case length is about 1.740 to 1.745. Very few are long enough to need trimming.

I have not been able to find anything about minimum case length for .223. I would guess it is not a problem-but thought it would be wise to ask.

Is it OK to load a 1.74 case to normal OAL. (Trim length is 1.75.)

thx

That is absolutely acceptable. The case will grow as you shoot it and then size it. That will be fine though. Sometimes you don't need to trim. Just try to separate by head stamp and times shot and have at it!

I once again find myself in agreement with Chuckdog. I also use a Lee factory crimp die for .223 intended for an auto loader. This makes complete uniformity in trim lengths not a necessity to getting uniform crimps, within listed specs and within reason of course.

I once again find myself in agreement with Chuckdog. I also use a Lee factory crimp die for .223 intended for an auto loader. This makes complete uniformity in trim lengths not a necessity to getting uniform crimps, within listed specs and within reason of course.

Do you all use a factory crimp on a non-cannelured 223? I am finding conflicting info on this. (I am gonna shoot these in a bolt action, so setback from operation shouldn't be an issue.)

Back
Top Bottom