• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 For Deer?

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
439   0
Reaction score
Ok. I need someone to convince me to let my son carry my Remington Seven 223. He is 9 and wants to go with me this year and hunt. I let him shoot a similar rifle I have in 260 and I think it may have "surprised" him a little bit so I think I need to back down on the horsepower. He shoots the 223 well so it seems like the better fit. I also have a 243 and a 6mm but both are adult sized rifles. We will probably be hunting food plots where hopefully we can wait for broadside shots and I'm not going to let him take any long shots regardless of what he carries. I have loaded some Speer 70 grain semi-spitzers which are the heaviest "game" bullets I have found. Good, bad or ugly does anyone have any real world experience with a 223 on deer they can share?

If he can hit three out of three coke cans - go for it... Our Military has used them for HUMANS that are shooting back for 40 years.

Are the semi-spitzer's soft points? Bullet construction and performance will make a bigger difference than weight. I successfully used the Winchester 64 grain powerpoint on big midwestern white tails for years. Usually under 75 yards.

You going to be backing him up with a real gun if he needs a follow up?
Really, if the kid can shoot, and you keep him up close, and he doesn't clench, I don't see any problem.

Does the .260 fit him? If so get some of the reduced recoil loads and let him try it again. http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-recoil/managed-recoil.aspx
No way in heck my son at 9 would have been comfortable shooting any centerfire rifle but I get many are.

The little dude surprises me with how well he shoots my 22 Hornet. The 260 definitely is too much not because of the size of the rifle but because of the recoil. I'm hoping the 223 is a good in between rifle since he can shoot it well.

Back
Top Bottom