• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 For Deer?

I hunt with .223 frequently. No problem at all. It is about good shooting and proper bullet.. Ballistic Tip, Hollow Point, Soft Point and the ability to hit a 6 in circle at whatever distance your shooting. Also give him a good schooling on kill zones of the animal in question and the best orientations to shoot from.

I hunt with .223 frequently. No problem at all. It is about good shooting and proper bullet.. Ballistic Tip, Hollow Point, Soft Point and the ability to hit a 6 in circle at whatever distance your shooting. Also give him a good schooling on kill zones of the animal in question and the best orientations to shoot from.

BT's and HP's aren't a great choice for deer, but hey.

The little dude surprises me with how well he shoots my 22 Hornet. The 260 definitely is too much not because of the size of the rifle but because of the recoil. I'm hoping the 223 is a good in between rifle since he can shoot it well.
I get it but the reduced recoil supposedly cuts the recoil in half. I'd MUCH rather be slinging 140 grains at a deer in a purpose constructed bullet than trying to 'make do and hope for the best' with something less than half that weight.
I have lamented MANY times parents give small children "too much gun" but letting an inexperinced shooter go afield after deer with a marginal at best round just has too many things pointing the direction of potential unhappiness.

These aren't elk. The little fella will be just fine under 100 yards on Georgia sized deer with the proper bullet.

Back
Top Bottom