.223 reloading

GreenPanther

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
I have been reloading pistol brass for over 6 mos now and after a few thousand rounds of that, I decided to move on to .223 reloading for the AR 15. I am using a lee turret right now. Is there any advise anyone can offer for this round? As far as my reloading procedure what all will I have to do different for this round? I already noticed that my Lee 3 die set did not come with a powder through die for this caliber, and I am pretty sure I will also need an auto disk riser for the press.

You'll need a double disk kit too. I've found the case mouth can be easily deformed with the rifle charging attachment. A separate off press measure works better for me.

I don't like the auto advance feature for bottleneck cases. You'll need to check your length after resizing. A case that needs trimming can lead to dangerously high pressures.

There's much more required case prep involved in loading bottleneck cases. It just ain't automation friendly in my opinion. I believe I'd spring for a single stage press for my rifle loads. At least disable the auto advance feature on the turret.

Back
Top Bottom