• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

I've seen plenty of dead people shot by .22s, my mkiii 22/45 is loaded and in a room of my house, if its the closest gun when I need it I have no problem usinging it till I get to a larger gun.

I've seen plenty of dead people shot by .22s, my mkiii 22/45 is loaded and in a room of my house, if its the closest gun when I need it I have no problem usinging it till I get to a larger gun.

So you aren't even concerned with size in this situation and STILL chose to use a 22. That is such a bad idea I can't even express it. You say, "I have no problem usinging it till I get to a larger gun." I absolutely guaranty that you are dramatically reducing your chances of getting to that larger gun by using a 22 for self defense.

So you aren't even concerned with size in this situation and STILL chose to use a 22. That is such a bad idea I can't even express it. You say, "I have no problem usinging it till I get to a larger gun." I absolutely guaranty that you are dramatically reducing your chances of getting to that larger gun by using a 22 for self defense.

Read closer, the .22 is in a room of my house, I have guns in most rooms of my house. If I happen to be in that bedroom when something happens then the .22 is the closest weapon if I don't have one on my person. Are you saying I'd be better ignoring the gun beside me to get to the one twenty feet away that's larger? Or wouldn't it be better to grab the close one so I'm not unarmed till I get to the larger one.

Not that its likely to be used since I carry even at home 99% of the time.

And I've seen first hand what a .22 does to the human body, I never said its better than a larger caliber but it can cause serious damage.

I'm sorry, but people that think a 22 is a viable defense round have NO IDEA what they are talking about. The reason I'm jumping on this so hard is because you guys may actually convince someone they are a good idea. Great!

"Here honey, the guys on ODT say a 22 is plenty to defend yourself when I'm out of town."

Then the poor sap comes home to a dead wife. Yeah, the bad guy may be dead on the living room floor, but his wife is dead in the bedroom because the BG killed her AFTER she shot him.

It's simple to me. All things being equal, I want a claymore between the bad guy and my family, but certain practicalities apply. I wish I could keep an M60 next to my bed but a .45 will have to do. There are not many bad guys who are willing to advance through a hail of gunfire all be it from a .22, and I would not tell someone he can't defend himself with a .22.

Back
Top Bottom