.22lr Hosts and Sparrow (PICS!) Let's see your hosts too!

I don't understand why people want a user serviceable centerfire can.....there is really no need. I kinda wish they hadn't started making user serviceable rimfire cans because now everyone thinks it is necessary on any can.

I don't understand why people want a user serviceable centerfire can.....there is really no need. I kinda wish they hadn't started making user serviceable rimfire cans because now everyone thinks it is necessary on any can.

if you use lead cast bullets its necessary, pistol cans can build up over an extended period, I will be getting the Osprey and I really didn't want a userservicable pistol can, but if you shoot wet or lead cast it is a major benefit. As for rifles it isn't really necessary unless you shoot lead cast since the high pressure and heat self cleans, but like I said if I'm going to get a fullsize 5.56 can I would also want it to fit on my 22lr AR for proportional appearance reasons. Plus the Tirant is a great performer and servicable so that is really just an upgrade no compromise there.

SRI has noted many pistol cans come in that have been caked with debri and lost performance(especially integrals).

if you use lead cast bullets its necessary, pistol cans can build up over an extended period, I will be getting the Osprey and I really didn't want a userservicable pistol can, but if you shoot wet or lead cast it is a major benefit. As for rifles it isn't really necessary unless you shoot lead cast since the high pressure and heat self cleans, but like I said if I'm going to get a fullsize 5.56 can I would also want it to fit on my 22lr AR for proportional appearance reasons. Plus the Tirant is a great performer and servicable so that is really just an upgrade no compromise there.

SRI has noted many pistol cans come in that have been caked with debri and lost performance(especially integrals).

Ok they have degraded in suppression over time. But how many rounds did it take to make a noticeable difference to the ear in sound?

Ok they have degraded in suppression over time. But how many rounds did it take to make a noticeable difference to the ear in sound?

Thousands. You have to seriously shoot alot, unless you are using lead cast or doing double duty on a rimfire.

The tough thing about servicable cans is that if it is servicable you have to clean it otherwise it can get stuck, so with that benefit you do lose the ability to go many many rounds without cleaning.

Thousands. You have to seriously shoot alot, unless you are using lead cast or doing double duty on a rimfire.

The tough thing about servicable cans is that if it is servicable you have to clean it otherwise it can get stuck, so with that benefit you do lose the ability to go many many rounds without cleaning.

It probably takes 10 to 20 thousand to make a difference....I don't think the average user is really going to shoot that much. And even with cat lead you can use a gas check....but also using lead cast isn't that big of a deal when you think about the speed they are going. You aren't going to load a less cast any where near max pressure and speed to where is going to be that big of a melter.

It probably takes 10 to 20 thousand to make a difference....I don't think the average user is really going to shoot that much. And even with cat lead you can use a gas check....but also using lead cast isn't that big of a deal when you think about the speed they are going. You aren't going to load a less cast any where near max pressure and speed to where is going to be that big of a melter.

no less than that, Titsworth found that even after a few hundred suppressors lose some capability(dispelling the myth that a dirty suppressor runs quieter), then it flattens out until about 3k and then there is continual slow loss. Now the Osprey avoids this with massive internal volume.

Yup I think that's one thing going for osprey, not having to clean every damn session and not sacrificing quality. :) I still prefer user serviceable just to have the options to clean if I wanted to.

Last edited:
I bought a Savage 22 bolt action today and with CCI quiet ammo, I don't think it even needs a can. It is quieter than a pellet gun. Can't wait to hear it on my Spectre II. I have a P22 and Ruger lite 22/45. I am building an AR 22 pistol now. What semi auto 22 rifle should I buy? Would like the barrel to already be threaded if possible. Do not want an M&P 15-22.

Back
Top Bottom