• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

3/31 course :Do not mess with ODT'ers, they know what they are doing

For you guys (and gals) who have not taken this course (or like me-none at all), you should definitely consider this one, especially because of it's low cost compared to some of the others out there. You really come away with some GREAT info and best of all, you get to see what works and doesn't work as far as gear and equipment goes. I'll share some of what I learned so that my fellow ODT'ers might consider taking one of Will's courses in the future:

First, Will and Steve were super easy, laid back instructors who presented the material with no ego's or "Back when I was in________ ('Nam, the Desert, the Teams,,,,,,fill in the blank)" attitudes that I have heard other instructors and courses come with. They both had interesting backgrounds which they used to help reinforce the training, not to "over-power you with their awesomeness" (LOL)

-If you think you have the best gear for a prolonged self-defense situation ie. extremely violent riots, the proverbial zombie attacks, etc and have not put it through any exercises you might be in for a surprise. I traded for a high-ride chest rig for the course and although I like and will probably stick with the style of carry, I will definitely be modifying how the magazines are retained. I found the big floppy velcro flaps to be a hindrance and will try something like one of those bungee cord retainers. Aslo where I keep my secondary firearm (pistol) is something else I will kill some brain cells over. Again floppy flaps don't cut it for me.

-On the subject of magazines, I now know what the phase "magazine management" means. Putting empty's next to loaded mags is an invitation for your pal Mr. Murphy to hand you a fresh "empty" when under stress while trying to reload. Now after going thru the course those little baggy pouches some guys have attached to the back of their rig don't look so silly. A perfect place to retain the empty's but out of the way.

-Shooting with the .223 carbine (and pistol) at 5 yards (I think that's what it was) and walking back in 5 yrd increments and seeing how it affected shot placement was an eye opener. Very easy to practice with the next time I go to an indoor range.

-I was the only one there with an iron-sighted AK based platform (Saiga .223) other than another fellow with a .223 Robinson and Will's tricked out Mini-14. Everybody else had AR's and I think most had some sort of optic. Being able to hang with unmodified AK sights was cool but if I had a peep/ghost ring A1 style rear sight over the dust cover area I think I would have shot better. I will be looking at the various options such as Krebs, Texas WS, or possibly making my own hinged dust-cover like the Krinkov to extend the sight distance and have a better sight picture. That 1" orange sticky dot against the white paper got awfully small at 25 yds and faded in and out of visiblity with my changing eye-sight, and looked like a beer bottle top sitting on top of a 4x4 size front post!!! LOL

-The real eye-opener for me was trying to shoot left handed and also reload one handed both the carbine and pistol. Shooting the AK left handed for the first time was actually quite painful because I tried to shoot it the way I do right -handed, that is gripping the forearm near the mag area and grasping with my thumb pointed up. After getting the web of my thumb/index finger wacked a couple of times it taught me to "GET YOUR DAMN THUMB DOWN"!!!! Not to mention it's a great way to induce stoppage in an AK, while moving between cover, out in the open, with Will yelling "Get off the X!!!!!!" (I forgot to ask Will what that means, X marks the spot where you take a round because you stopped moving? Maybe?)

My fellow classmates were all great people to be there with. Met folks from all walks of life and it was great to put an ODT name with a face. I will definitely be taking this course again with some modified gear to see how it works out, hopefully with some friends and co-workers of mine. I also want to take the Pistol only course when it comes available. I now see why training is such an important part of firearm ownership. Being a suburbinite does not allow me space to set up my own training course in my back-yard and going to the range to punch holes in paper does not cut it for teaching the fundamentals of using a firearm effectively in self-defense situations. I am a Cold-War vet, which means my training back in my day was shooting either paper-targets or the famous commie soldier falling targets. No small-arms training I had back then compares to this. So it is my first class in this area and I can't wait to take another one. Kudo's again to Will and Steve for a great class!!!

Last edited:
Just remember that Willr1's classes are kinda like prison don't drop the loaded mag or you'll here "Your getting butt raped by the bad guy. That is how I learned that Tula sure looks like the same color as the follower on my pmags.

*Also funny how no one ever looks like I think they would, and Jcountry tears ragged holes with his 19, damn good shot.

Thanks for the compliment, lax..

I did have a couple of good targets, but I credit Glock. The first time I picked up a Glock was about 8 months ago, and I have fallen madly in love. For some reason, I can shoot that tupperware far better than any other pistol. I have no idea why, but me and Glock get along pretty well.

It looks like everyone did much better after some practice and getting used to trying different drills and all. I like course like this because they include things you have never thought about before. There is a big difference between going and doing a little target shooting from the same distance and at the same targets each time, and doing what we did.

I also took a defensive pistol course from willr1 a while back. It was a great course also. We spent a lot of time doing mag changes and drills, and really covered the pistol stuff very thoroughly (with some extra pointers and drills.) For anyone who carries, the defensive pistol course is invaluable.

Thanks again, Lax-you weren't too shabby yourself. You were hitting the "heart sized" vital area like a machine. It was great meeting a bunch of y'all. I had a great time!

Last edited:
DSCF7190.jpg
DSCF7186.jpgDSCF7201.jpgDSCF7210.jpgDSCF7232.jpgeverydya6.jpgjcountry.jpgjcountry on back.jpgODT still shot.jpgsean.jpg

Back
Top Bottom