• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-30 load

bassdaddy00

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I shot a 1.5 year old spike with a 30/30 loaded with 150 gr Barnes TSX. I was amazed that the bullet did not expand at all and acted as a fmj. Small entrance and exit wounds as well. I hit him behind the shoulder, 2/3 of the way down. That should have taken out the heart and both lungs but the deer still made 150 yards without leaving a blood trail. In fairness, I have heard of this happening with the Barnes TSX and they have done away with the problem of non expansion with the introduction of the TTSX, which contains the polymer tip that aids expansion. Aside from the TTSX, which I believe to be one of the best bullets out there, my primary deer bullet is a Berger H-VLD. That thing virtually detonates just under the skin and penetrates thru the ribs on the off side without exiting . Result = Bang-Flop! The wound channel through both side rib cages is big enough to put my fist through. I have killed several deer with the Berger and all have gone down as if struck by lightning. Load is a 140 gr in .284 for my 7mm Rem Mag. at 3,065 fps.

I typically use the Berger when strictly deer hunting but switch to the Barnes TTSX if there is a possibility of killing a hog. I will have to find another option for the old 30-30 as I did not care for the performance of the TSX.

the bergers are the most under rated bullets out there..you don't need a blood trail with them

I agree!
My only problem with the Berger is that they fail to penetrate on hogs. I shot one last year and he got up and left. I believe it failed to penetrate the shield. On thin skin, medium sized game they are AWESOME. They are also very accurate, I shoot a cheapo Remington model 710 that a friend nicknamed Voodoo. It shoots under 1/2 MOA with the Bergers and just over that with the Barnes TTSX.

Does a 30-30 generate enough velocity for reliable expansion? I don't use them, but a muzzle velocity of around 2K may not deliver enough umph for them to expand downrange?

Does a 30-30 generate enough velocity for reliable expansion? I don't use them, but a muzzle velocity of around 2K may not deliver enough umph for them to expand downrange?

Yes, these are loaded to the higher end of velocity for 30-30. Think of it as a hollow point, which is essentially what a TSX is. The non expansion problem is not caliber specific, it happens across the board in all calibers from what I am seeing.

I recently saw some Ted Nugent Ammo at Academy. I didn't buy any or google them, but I wonder how they are? I mean he is a hunter and pro 2A guy so I would think he wouldn't put his name on total crap. Doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

I recently saw some Ted Nugent Ammo at Academy. I didn't buy any or google them, but I wonder how they are? I mean he is a hunter and pro 2A guy so I would think he wouldn't put his name on total crap. Doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

stuff is expensive though from what i remember lol. apparently its what he uses from his fb posts i see though.

I want a 125 grain bullet in a 30-30 to shoot in my bolt action Savage.Sierra pro hunter or some type soft point.Found em in Ballistic tip but don't want them.

Back
Top Bottom