• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-30 load

It's nothing to me. Factory reloaded ammo is produced by licensed, insured and bonded companies.

Anyone loading for someone else opens themselves up to some serious liability.

I want a 125 grain bullet in a 30-30 to shoot in my bolt action Savage.Sierra pro hunter or some type soft point.Found em in Ballistic tip but don't want them.

I had some 125 grain soft point spitzer Sierra bullets hand loaded up with IMR 4064 for a T/C 30-30 handgun. The velocity was just over 2,000 FPS out of a 14" barrel. At 50-100 yards they were ok but at 200 yards accuracy was just plain terrible. I expect I need a heavier/longer bullet to gain accuracy.

I loaded 110 grain Spitzer Speer JSP out of the 14" T/C with AA 2230 and obtained a bit over 2,500 FPS but newer data reflected 2,340 was max for that load so I took note. However it was having the same issue at distance.

I'm not sure what the twist rate is for the T/C's but I have had similar issues in loading light bullets in .308. Someone mentioned they had good results with light .30 caliber bullets in .308 (Chuckdog?) but I have not cracked that nut yet.

30-30 is a 100 yard cartridge to me.Past that the 308 is in the tree.Which gun I take depends on where I hunt.Fixing a 18.5 inch barrel 308 now,150's be the ticket?

30-30 is a 100 yard cartridge to me.Past that the 308 is in the tree.Which gun I take depends on where I hunt.Fixing a 18.5 inch barrel 308 now,150's be the ticket?

Yep, should do you right not too heavy not too light, most will shoot them true if you did/do your part.

I had some 125 grain soft point spitzer Sierra bullets hand loaded up with IMR 4064 for a T/C 30-30 handgun. The velocity was just over 2,000 FPS out of a 14" barrel. At 50-100 yards they were ok but at 200 yards accuracy was just plain terrible. I expect I need a heavier/longer bullet to gain accuracy.

I loaded 110 grain Spitzer Speer JSP out of the 14" T/C with AA 2230 and obtained a bit over 2,500 FPS but newer data reflected 2,340 was max for that load so I took note. However it was having the same issue at distance.

I'm not sure what the twist rate is for the T/C's but I have had similar issues in loading light bullets in .308. Someone mentioned they had good results with light .30 caliber bullets in .308 (Chuckdog?) but I have not cracked that nut yet.

Yea, I have loaded 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in .308 Win. They're youth/reduced velocity rounds loaded for 18.5" Model Seven's @ 2350 fps mv. The powder was the very bulky IMR 4759.

I haven't shot them for group at more than 100 yds. The longest shot on game was 135 yds. The deer dropped in his tracks.

Longer distances, well I haven't crossed that bridge? The grand kids have outgrown my loading this load now. For what it's worth, I believe I found these reduced loads in an older Speer manual.

30-30 doesn't doesn't seem to travel fast enough to deliver the Hyrda-Shock effect on a shot as you've explained. Sure, you can do it with big hole, big knock down through the lower shoulder but that takes meat away. I took a six-point this year with the 30-30 Hornady LeverEvolution 160 grain XXT. Above the shoulder and below the back at 90 yards. Dropped in his tracks because of the proximity to the back I suppose. It seems something faster wouldn't have to hit the back and could stop the organs by the shock of just passing through the ribs. You mentioned your 7mm Mag. Behind the shoulders with that will pull the heart out and stop them in their tracks won't it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 15
30-30 doesn't doesn't seem to travel fast enough to deliver the Hyrda-Shock effect on a shot as you've explained. Sure, you can do it with big hole, big knock down through the lower shoulder but that takes meat away. I took a six-point this year with the 30-30 Hornady LeverEvolution 160 grain XXT. Above the shoulder and below the back at 90 yards. Dropped in his tracks because of the proximity to the back I suppose. It seems something faster wouldn't have to hit the back and could stop the organs by the shock of just passing through the ribs. You mentioned your 7mm Mag. Behind the shoulders with that will pull the heart out and stop them in their tracks won't it?

Yeah, the 7mm Mag is my primary. The old 30-30 was left to me by my Dad and my 17 year old daughter uses it to hunt with. I am trying to find a good load that will drop a deer drt for her with proper shot placement. I think I will look at the XXT next. Maybe even go back to a lead soft point, I know those work at the lower velocity of that round. I can't for the life of me figure out why you would need a 100 yard range for a bullet to work in a cartridge designed with that as about max range effective. In Ga I have never killed a deer beyond 100 yards and the vast majority were inside 50. Oddly enough the longest kill I have ever made was 98 yards with an iron sighted muzzle loader.

Nice! I have yet to use a Muzzle Loader but, I will this coming season. The biggest buck I took was years ago. Marlin Model 30AS with a scope. It was a 10 point with a 20" spread. I was walk/stalk hunting, tryin to push some activity toward my dad. Working back and forth in a sweep through some farm woods. Big doe walkin fast straight toward me. She was downhill and had her nose to the ground. She stopped and looked at me, turned 90 degrees and walked. She left the big buck exposed. He was facing me, nose to the ground. He never looked up. He turned broadside and got down to crawl...15 yards away! I had to shoot him three times with Federal 150 gr soft points. His antlers are mounted and sad to say in a storage locker. My regular carry is a Marlin 336A made in 1948, no scope, not even drilled or tapped. I'd like to keep it 50 and under in the woods but this year a doe led an old buck across a shooting lane. I was in a primo stand with a shooting rail and even though it was way out there through the woods, I had a clean shot. I'm liking the better ammo nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom