• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 Win Reduced Power

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, I picked up some Trail Boss, which is great for subsonic, but doesn't quite get me to the velocities I want. I have 500 plated bullets coming from RMR and would like to get them zipping along around their recommended speed of around 1,600fps. Was thinking of 4759, but I'd like to keep pressures down for a good plinking round that's easy on the brass. Any suggestions?

It would help folks to help you if we knew what bullet weight you planned on using. I have some data for several reduced loads in different calibers including .308 from Ramshot powder company. I had asked for help a few years ago because a .300RUM had beaten me up pretty bad and destroyed everything it hit.
The .308 winchester reduced data I received from Ramshot was
A 152gr round nose gas check bullet, a start load of accurate 5744 of 23,5gr at 2011FPS and a max load of 27grs @ 2230 FPS OAL of 2.530 and running 38500CUP
Also showing 165gr silhouette gas check bullet with a start load of accurate 5744 @ 24.3gr running 1905FPS and a max of 27gr running 2165FPS , OAL is 2.700 and 37,200cup
Both of these were with remington cases and CCI 200 primers

Hodgdon didn't have any reduced data at the time but sent me a link to their site for the reduced data they had available.

Here's a link to the Hodgdon site, http://www.hodgdon.com/

Hope this helps

Oops, meant to include the weight. They are 150gr. I have 6-7 lbs of 4895 that I use for full power stuff. The Trail Boss I picked up has published data to 1400+ fps which may be close enough. It's a 16" barrel 308 with a breakout flash hider/muzzle break so it's god awful concussive at my local indoor range. I'm wanting something to plink around with there and save the full power stuff for the outdoors. Also looking into the 208gr Hornady BTHP for subsonic as my desire to suppress this thing is growing...

Most powder manufacturers as well as bullet manufacturers have help lines that my be your best bet for good safe reduced load data. These are the big boys and they do lots and lots of research and testing.
You might want to call and Nosler, Sierra as they have been very helpful to me in the past especially Sierra even with other manufacturers components.
Alliant , Accurate, IMR and Hodgdon may be willing to help out as well. Because .308 is so common they all probably have some very useful info and insight on it.
Good luck

Whatever you do don't go below published minimums. Really weird and dangerous things can and do happen. Hang fires, excessive pressure and all kinds of weird anomalies happen and too little powder can be just as dangerous as too much..

Last edited:
Yeah, I try and stay away from light charges in all my loading. That's why I like the Trail Boss. Max load from Hodgon is a full case to the bottom of the bullet, uncompressed.

Oops, meant to include the weight. They are 150gr. I have 6-7 lbs of 4895 that I use for full power stuff. The Trail Boss I picked up has published data to 1400+ fps which may be close enough. It's a 16" barrel 308 with a breakout flash hider/muzzle break so it's god awful concussive at my local indoor range. I'm wanting something to plink around with there and save the full power stuff for the outdoors. Also looking into the 208gr Hornady BTHP for subsonic as my desire to suppress this thing is growing...

What twist is your bbl? The 208 jacketed rounds will leave something to be desired at subsonic speeds. My gun shoots them best turned backwards. IE, boat tail going first. Still don't expect match accuracy. Look at some lead rn bullets. They are just as accurate and you can run a heavier bullet for the same twist. I'm playing with some 230gr cast under unique out of my aacsd.

here's some info I used to get my grandson started shooting a .308;
I hope this helps

I went with 22 gr. of SR4759 150 gr. Ballistic Tip, Big Mistake for Deer.
Due to the low velocity the bullet passed through a Doe and did not expand, looked like you shot the Doe with a field point arrow; would have done just as good with the bullet seated backwards
something to consider in a hunting situation

see this link to 'Shooting Times' article on Reduced .308 loads

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st_practic308loads_201008/

Last edited:
I have a 1 in 10" barrel. Sierra recommends a 1-10" for their 210gr, but they maybe referring to a 300 Win Mag or something similar, I dunno. Subsonic needs are still a ways of for me and I doubt I would be hunting with either of these loads, more just for the fun of shooting.

I did get the plated bullets in this morning so I chocked one in an empty case and they seem to feed just fine in the AR. I was worried about the flat point, but it isn't as broad as I expected and my seater plug catches them slightly down from the nose. For overall length, I measured my standard FMJ bullet and seated this one so the base was at the same point in the case. Im going to use Hodgdon's reduced data for Trail Boss right now. If I find I need to speed them up a little bit for more accuracy I'll do a little more research and think about some smaller powder charges, but I like how the Trail Boss fills the case. While they aren't too much cheaper in all at around$0.25/round to reload, I'm sure my neighbors at the range will be appreciative of a lighter shockwave every time I shoot...
IMG_0216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom