• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

32 or 30

MarkyyDee

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   1
Reaction score
Looking to grab either a G32 or G30 SF today in gen 4. What are you guys thoughts about ammo prices, ballistic difference, capacity differences, recoil differences? This will be something I carry 90% of the time. 357sig or 45

357 sig and Underwood ammo. Don't waste your money on store bought stuff except for punching holes in paper. The exception is Sig's line of ammo when you find it for a good price. 45 gives up way too much energy in short barrels. Sure it will get the job done, but it's not the best choice in anything less than a full size barrel. Check out tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He has some very good ballistics vids.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've been carrying and using .357SIG as an issued duty round since 2002. I like it a lot for what I use it for, but I get free ammo. Personally, I wouldn't buy a .357SIG if I had a choice and had to buy my own ammo.

Ammo isn't as easy to find, or in as many different flavors, as 9/.40/.45. With the modern 9mm ammo, the slight "boost" you get with .357SIG isn't worth the added noise and recoil, or the reduced capacity. If you're a heavy shooter, a .357SIG handgun will wear out faster than a 9mm or .45ACP. At 10,000-12,000 rounds I start to see flame-cutting in barrel of my issued SIG P229, and that's better steel than Glock uses in their barrels. Doesn't affect the accuracy, but it's visible.

I fired approximately 40,000 rounds through my first 3 P229's, was than that through my 4th, currently on my 5th. That doesn't count the number of rounds I've shot through spare weapons or the P229 and P226 I used to own in .357SIG.

.357SIG ammo will always be harder to find and more expensive. LE agencies are getting away from using it; my own agency (along with every other agency within DHS) is dumping it this year.

I've chrono'ed +P and +P+ loads out of the G19, against the .357SIG out of the P229 (roughly the same barrel length). Not enough of a difference between the 2 calibers that the guy you shot could tell the difference.

I get asked "What round should I carry?" all the time. For a semi-auto, I recommend 2 rounds; 9mm and .45ACP. If you're a fan of "small & fast", or increased capacity, get a 9mm. If you prefer a bigger bullet, don't fool around with intermediate calibers.....cowboy up, jump straight to the granddaddy, and get a .45ACP.

So, I would recommend the G19 or the G30SF.

I've been carrying and using .357SIG as an issued duty round since 2002. I like it a lot for what I use it for, but I get free ammo. Personally, I wouldn't buy a .357SIG if I had a choice and had to buy my own ammo.

Ammo isn't as easy to find, or in as many different flavors, as 9/.40/.45. With the modern 9mm ammo, the slight "boost" you get with .357SIG isn't worth the added noise and recoil, or the reduced capacity. If you're a heavy shooter, a .357SIG handgun will wear out faster than a 9mm or .45ACP. At 10,000-12,000 rounds I start to see flame-cutting in barrel of my issued SIG P229, and that's better steel than Glock uses in their barrels. Doesn't affect the accuracy, but it's visible.

I fired approximately 40,000 rounds through my first 3 P229's, was than that through my 4th, currently on my 5th. That doesn't count the number of rounds I've shot through spare weapons or the P229 and P226 I used to own in .357SIG.

.357SIG ammo will always be harder to find and more expensive. LE agencies are getting away from using it; my own agency (along with every other agency within DHS) is dumping it this year.

I've chrono'ed +P and +P+ loads out of the G19, against the .357SIG out of the P229 (roughly the same barrel length). Not enough of a difference between the 2 calibers that the guy you shot could tell the difference.

I get asked "What round should I carry?" all the time. For a semi-auto, I recommend 2 rounds; 9mm and .45ACP. If you're a fan of "small & fast", or increased capacity, get a 9mm. If you prefer a bigger bullet, don't fool around with intermediate calibers.....cowboy up, jump straight to the granddaddy, and get a .45ACP.

I agree with the 45 if it's a 5in barrel otherwise it gives up significant performance. Were you chronoing full power 357 sig or the watered down common commercial loads. Even defensive loads are under powered. It's just like 10 mm in that respect. I don't think most people put the number of rounds through that you do so barrel wear would be my least concern. Also, +p+ will wear a nine as fast or faster than 357 sig......

This of course is all academic.... I carry a 26 daily... Because that's what I have that is small and comfortable. I'll probably get a 32 if one comes up for a smoking deal as I already have a 226 and 229 in the caliber. I gave up on ammo prices long ago... I seem to be trying to acquire one firearm in every caliber! Lol

Bro get the 32 and add a couple G19 mags and Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for $90 later.

Then pick up a used G23 barrel for about $60

You then have 9mm, .40, and .357sig at your disposal.

You can always get a G30s at a local gun shop for around $425-450 used...

I have a G32 and all 3 caliber barrels as well as aprox 4500 factory loaded rounds left of Speer Gold Dots in .357sig.

.357SIG Speer Gold Dot 125grn

Everything is a trade-off. Yep, Underwood is hotter round than Speer. It also has increased noise and recoil, leading to increased recovery time/splits, which means shooting slower. It also beats a gun up faster.

One doesn't train with +P or +P+ ammunition. You shoot enoigh if it to know it's reliable and accurate in your 9mm, then train with standard pressure stuff. You don't have that ability with the .357SIG; all of it is hot to varying degrees.

Looking to grab either a G32 or G30 SF today in gen 4. What are you guys thoughts about ammo prices, ballistic difference, capacity differences, recoil differences? This will be something I carry 90% of the time. 357sig or 45
G30SF or G30S all day, my next pistol purchase will most likely be th G30S because the slide is a G36 slide which is not as thick (wide) as the G30SF slide but the frame is the SF frame so the pistol is just slightly, and I mean very slightly larger than a G19.

357 sig and Underwood ammo. Don't waste your money on store bought stuff except for punching holes in paper. The exception is Sig's line of ammo when you find it for a good price. 45 gives up way too much energy in short barrels. Sure it will get the job done, but it's not the best choice in anything less than a full size barrel. Check out tnoutdoors9 on YouTube. He has some very good ballistics vids.

Youtube advice? Lol!

This is REAL WORLD advice from someone who actually knows from first hand experience and who's also a law enforcement professional, military Veteran and firearms instructor. I'd take this mans advice over some guy on youtube anytime.

G30SF or G30S all day, my next pistol purchase will most likely be th G30S because the slide is a G36 slide which is not as thick (wide) as the G30SF slide but the frame is the SF frame so the pistol is just slightly, and I mean very slightly larger than a G19.

Youtube advice? Lol!

This is REAL WORLD advice from someone who actually knows from first hand experience and who's also a law enforcement professional, military Veteran and firearms instructor. I'd take this mans advice over some guy on youtube anytime.
Wow, easy on the YouTube butt hurt lol. If you had watched any of that guys videos you would know it's not advice but a series of controlled or as controlled as can be at home tests of various makes of various calibers. One of very few worthwhile consistent people on there. Besides, I referenced it because it had relevant quantifiable information for this thread. IE, chrono results from a G32 which the op asked about.....

Back
Top Bottom