• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

35 Remington

Nope, but....

... I was "thinking" about building a big-game hunting rifle with a threaded barrel for a silencer or sound suppressor, good for 200 yard shooting, and I was thinking that the .35 Remington would be a good caliber to use, since I could shoot either regular factory ammo and put up with a little extra noise from the supersonic crack of the bullet going above Mach 1.0, OR I could handload it down with a reduced powder charge and a heavy 220-250 grain bullet at 1050 f.p.s. for really quiet shooting.

Silencers made for a .308 rifle but with the baffles or baffle core bored-out to the same diameter holes used for 9mm / .357 Sig pistol silencers should work fine.

I load the 35 but haven't tried the new powder or bullets. I usually stick with traditional 200gr rn bullets, but in my contender I play a bit and shoot some 150 and 180gr spire point bullets.

I would think if you have both bullets to compare, the big issue with swapping bullets of different styles in seating depth- the base of the two bullet vs OAL. A bullet like FTX is going to be much longer overall compared to a RN style. if you can compare the two bullets and see how far you might seat them both, try to make the base of the bullet the same on both (i.e. keep the volume in the case the same). I would think that would give you similar pressures in the bullet (powder and space). But look around online I would assume someone is using the new powder w/ standard (not FTX) bullets.

Just loaded 100 rounds using the Leverevolution powder behind Hornaday 200gn soft round nose. I used their suggested starting charge of 42gn vs the max of 45 compressed since I don't have a tube nor do I care to send them off my shoulder any harder than needed to kill deer. I loaded 6 and was getting roughly 2" groups at 100 yards out of my Marlin. For a brush gun this works for me. I've since shot about 10 more rounds at paper and was just as pleased. Dropped a doe at 50-60 yards with the first one where she stood. I will buy another pound of this powder. Measured nicely in my cheap Lee powder measure and worked like it should. I'm a novice to reloading, but if it kills deer with decent accuracy I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom