• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 Lever gun for my son

steviesterno

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
Been looking to get my 2 year old an heirloom rifle and I have been looking since last year. Based on the responses I want to go with Henry and reached out about the custom serial number situation. Well, they aren't doing that this year probably, and couldn't really help me find something in stock anywhere except get me in touch with Cabelas gun buying service.

Finally heard back today and it looks like Cabelas would be able to order me a side gate, case hardened, 357 henry (no custom serial but that's ok) and have it here in around 60 days. I'm interested! Price is about $980 which seems on par with what I'm finding with places actually claiming to have them in hand that aren't stupid high gun broker prices.

So I'm trying to decide about the 16" or 20" barrel models. I think I'll be changing the lever out for case hardened but not sure yet. The main use of the rifle would be generally plinking, range fun, and travel. We are in the SE USA so grizzly isn't a concern. I think the 20" might look cooler, but I know the shorter barrel will handle quicker especially where storage and travel are concerned. I don't plan on teaching him to shoot with this rifle since I have a number of 22s, but want something we can use and enjoy together and then hand off to him when he's old enough full of wear and scars from our adventures together.

I would think the accuracy is soda can accurate to 50 yards for either length and I'm happy with 357 out of a 4" revolver so not worried about the ballistic difference. I can't find a single damn lever action in any of the stores I've been to here in almost a year so I have zero hand's on experience.

thoughts?

I have the 16" barrel Rossi and love it. Very short overall length and quick to point. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I don't think there's a ton more velocity left in .38/.357 with the extra barrel length either. I know it's higher but not enough IMO to justify the added size/weight.

I got some of the custom serials for my kids and they love them. The longer barrel doesn't make much difference, but the serial does. If you can, hold off until next year and get a custom serial. He's only 2 after all.

I get that, but my concern is with the market being MORE crazy later than it is now. I bought the first 357 ammo I've seen in a year earlier this week, just to be a bit more ready. I figured I could get something which would be better than nothing. I'm also afraid this AWB rabble will make old school guns harder to get and more expensive in general.

Learning towards this model because it's case hardened in Texas and that's where my son was born.

great job Dad!!!

thank you! I bought a 1911 when my first son was born and I have worn it with him through Texas and New Mexico, up to PA through the woods camping, Back to Texas and then on most of our adventures here in Georgia. It's got wear and marks and scratches but we earned them together. He doesn't know about it yet.

Funny thing is, I've been looking at lever action 44mags online lately. Don't know why, but all of a sudden this year I got an itch for one. Those Henry's are some purty guns. I would go with a 16" but that's really me speaking from a personal preference point of view. As Hayata mentioned above, you're probably not going to get much more velocity out of the longer barrel. I think the 16" is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom