• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 magnum case length vs OAL

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I'm reloading mixed once-fired brass cases. To get consistent bullet seating and crimp, I sort the cases based on case length and load similar-length cases in a given batch.

Now I understand that the maximum case length is supposedly 1.29". Most of my cases are considerably shorter, falling between 1.270" and 1.280" with a few outliers in both directions. My general practice (staying on the light to moderate end of the powder manufacturer's stated loading range) has been to seat bullets at the cannelure groove (using various lead SWC, Winchester JHP, and Hornady XTP) and take whatever OAL that produces.

So, with varying case lengths I get varying cartridge overall length. For example, with Hornady 180gr XTP the Accurate catalog says they should be 1.585". I presume that is a maximum, right? Mine come in around 1.561"

In the past I've been loading these fairly light for a Taurus 66. But I'm loading these now for the much heavier Ruger New Model Blackhawk and I wanted to go closer to the upper end of the scale for hunting purposes. Should I be concerned about OAL running .02" to .03" below maximum?

My Lyman's 49th edition shows a "trim to length" of 1.280" and a MAX COAL of 1.590.
When I was loading for .357 I don't ever recall trimming any of them .. However, I'm now loading .45 LC and have found that it is
almost impossible to properly load them unless I batch them by case length ... this to always achieve a satisfactory crimp (heavy recoil makes consistent & adequate crimping necessary for these straight walled rimmed cases). Further, if you stick to recognized loading table's COAL for the projectiles that you are loading, it is unlikely that you will ever go wrong!

You can add to your confusion by also shooting .38's as well as .357 wadcutters in your .357!

Crimping will be the issue. Can't get a decent crimp that prevents the rounds from growing, potentially locking up the cylinder, then trim to length for uniformity.

Thanks to Clarke123 for the specs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom