• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

357 Magnum Rifle & Pistol Combo - School Me.

Pretty straight forward title. I’m sometimes a “too practical” of a gun owner and sell my cool stuff so I can have things that are practical and useful.

I currently don’t own any 357 Magnum guns. I’d like to. But I’d also like a rifle, cuz ballistics. And since I’m so ridiculous, I’ll probably buy 1,000 rounds of ammo as well since it’s so cheap right now.

What say you? Revolver guys of the internet. I’m wanting to keep it simple, 4” 357 magnum with probably a 7 shot cylinder. Of course DA/SA. I’d prefer stainless. As well as a lever gun in 357 that’s stainless as well. I’d like to put the Midwest rails on it and make it a space lever gat.

What do y’all suggest? What kind of ammo are y’all running?
If i had the cabbage i would get this :
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-smith-and-wesson-686ssr-pro-series-357-magnum.1962885/

I've owned a few 4" .357 revolvers and loved all of them, but always preferred a 3"...Smith, Ruger, etc will have to be a personal choice. Smiths tend to be lighter, if that matters. It does to me. I also prefer Smith triggers.

I've got a 686 and a 586.

Love the 16" Rossi mod 92. Almost feels like a toy. You can get into one without breaking the bank and there is a TON of aftermarket stuff available for 'em.

Loves me some Aguila .357.

If I did a .357 rifle/handgun setup, I would do an 1894 marlin and a S&W 686.
Screenshot_2019-05-12-19-32-37.png
Screenshot_2019-05-12-19-32-47.png

I took a Social Levergun class last year put on by https://firstpersonsafety.com/ in which we were taught some of the ins and outs of using a lever action rifle for self defense. We fired from 7 to 100 yards. I used a Winchester Model 94AE with a 16" barrel and a S&W Model 28 with a 4" barrel. This class was an part of an effort to continue what I have taught myself. One thing I confirmed in shooting both tactical 2 gun matches and during this class is there are two schools of though for ammo.

The first is pick a solid factory product that shoots well out of both your revolver and rifle. You will gain some ballistic advantages by running your revolver ammo through your rifle. There's nothing at all wrong with that approach.

The other is to run ammo that takes full advantage of the longer rifle barrel. That usually presents a problem with the revolver if you plan to share ammo as it's much hotter than what many of the lighter framed guns can handle. This includes the 686. So you'll need to make sure your rifle ammo will not beat your revolver to death if you plan to share, or run two different loads, which sort of defeats the purpose. Either way a little bit of research on the front end will help you make an informed decision.

For those interested, FPS is offering a combined Social Levergun/Social Shotgun class on June 22 in Martin, GA. Take either your preferred lever gun or splatter gat. The class is one heck of a bargain at $100 + range fees.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-shotgunlevergun-manipulations-622-tickets-61457049690

Back
Top Bottom