• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

357 Magnum Rifle & Pistol Combo - School Me.

I’m not crazy how it looks, but I can certainly appreciate the firearm it is. I just had a bunch of trees cut down, so this is a September goal purchase.
I can appreciate that. Something else you may want to look at is the model 28 Highway Patrolman issue. They are decently priced and a workhorse of a magnum. You wont find a SS version though. Same with the model 27 . It happens to be more of a collector type and a little more expensive .
The 686 is a great model and SS models are easy to find.
Good luck !

Plenty of good suggestions. Along with leverguns are the aforementioned Taurus Thunderbolt, a copy of the Colt Lightning pump action rifle. Beretta had one, as well.

For me, the top rifle on my list would be an IMI Timberwolf, but expensive when you can find them. A scaled down Rem870, basically, in .357 Magnum, plus it’s a takedown.

686-4 included the first 686+. Pretty sure it is the only pre lock 686+ outside of some performance center iterations.

Not the only pre-Lock Seven-shooter--The 686-5 Is also pre-Lock--But while the Dash 5 has the Frame-mounted Firing Pin & MIM Trigger & Hammer, the Dash 4 retains the earlier--And most believe BETTER--Hammer-mounted Firing Pin as well as the Forged, non-MIM Hammer and Trigger...

As much as I’m a S&W fan, for a knockaround and woods gun, I’d get a 5” Ruger GP100. They’re available in blued with a half-lug barrel (sexy goodness) and a stainless full-lug.

Beretta Gold Rush pump .357 Magnum
FE02ACA9-AEE1-4216-83B9-27D412FE2BAD.jpeg

Taurus Thunderbolt pump .357 Magnum
72DBC7B3-1029-4578-95B0-9DFFCD592AB3.jpeg

IMI Timberwolf pump .357 Magnum, with Picatinny rail
78541720-83D7-4CB1-B7F0-FB2666ED0E52.jpeg

Here’s another excellent contender. For sheer ruggedness and accuracy, I don’t think you can beat the Ruger M77/357 bolt action. Barrel can be easily and cheaply (compared to a lever action) threaded for a can and has a simple and strong optic mounting system. The drawback compared to the leverguns and pumpguns is you’re limited to a 5-shot rotary mag. The lever and pump guns can be plussed-up on the run, but it may even be faster to just pop in a fresh mag.
6307DA0E-EF63-4E42-9FA5-24568F1342FE.jpeg

As much as I’m a S&W fan, for a knockaround and woods gun, I’d get a 5” Ruger GP100. They’re available in blued with a half-lug barrel (sexy goodness) and a stainless full-lug.

Beretta Gold Rush pump .357 Magnum
View attachment 2122857

Taurus Thunderbolt pump .357 Magnum
View attachment 2122858

IMI Timberwolf pump .357 Magnum, with Picatinny rail
View attachment 2122859

Here’s another excellent contender. For sheer ruggedness and accuracy, I don’t think you can beat the Ruger M77/357 bolt action. Barrel can be easily and cheaply (compared to a lever action) threaded for a can and has a simple and strong optic mounting system. The drawback compared to the leverguns and pumpguns is you’re limited to a 5-shot rotary mag. The lever and pump guns can be plussed-up on the run, but it may even be faster to just pop in a fresh mag.
View attachment 2122860
Curious how you compare a bolt gun to a pump or lever as far as speed, and capacity? I don’t know what all these hold.

Back
Top Bottom