• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 Magnum wood penetration

I've seen .38JHP's punch through 2" oak planking while .45 ball was stopped cold. I'd say a .357 would go a bit further than you think.

The Pentration amount would depend greatly on the Load, Bullet Type and Range from Weapon to Point of Impact, and that would hold true with any Caliber.

So what exactly are you trying to Prove or Disprove? Are you planning for an attack and want a shelter .357mag Proof?

Nope. Trying to build a box for a loaded weapon that will contain the bullet if it goes off. Consider it a thought experiment.

Note also my original post specified a particular round and distance as an example -- Speer Gold Dot 357 mag at close range.

I found this which suggests six inches of sand might be sufficient, but I imagine the height of the sand is a factor in the density / difficulty of displacing it, and his sand boxes are taller than I want. I'd like to do it with less than six inches of something...

Last edited:
Nope. Trying to build a box for a loaded weapon that will contain the bullet if it goes off. Consider it a thought experiment.

Note also my original post specified a particular round as an example -- Speer Gold Dot 357 mag.

I found this which suggests six inches of sand might be sufficient, but I imagine the height of the sand is a factor in the density / difficulty of displacing it, and his sand boxes are taller than I want. I'd like to do it with less than six inches of something...

I've never seen or heard of a revolver spontaneously discharging. There's usually a mental lapse and a finger placed someplace where it shouldn't be that causes a negligent discharge. No box or any amount of good intentions will failsafe that.

I've never seen or heard of a revolver spontaneously discharging. There's usually a mental lapse and a finger placed someplace where it shouldn't be that causes a negligent discharge. No box or any amount of good intentions will failsafe that.

You must not have seen the Mythbusters episode about what happens to a loaded revolver in an oven... which probably also happens in a house fire.

Back
Top Bottom