• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

357 Magnum wood penetration

You must not have seen the Mythbusters episode about what happens to a loaded revolver in an oven... which probably also happens in a house fire.

You are correct. On the other hand I don't leave a loaded revolver in oven :) I used to love watching mythbusters until I finally realized that they leave a lot of methodology out of their experiments, and pass off the results as solid evidence.

Somone posted a firesafe, I think that's a great idea. Something else you migh want to consider if you haven't already is if the gun isn't in your direct control, or on your nightstand at night, perhaps it needs to be unloadd and secured?

You are correct. On the other hand I don't leave a loaded revolver in oven :) I used to love watching mythbusters until I finally realized that they leave a lot of methodology out of their experiments, and pass off the results as solid evidence.

Somone posted a firesafe, I think that's a great idea. Something else you migh want to consider if you haven't already is if the gun isn't in your direct control, or on your nightstand at night, perhaps it needs to be unloadd and secured?

Suppose I have a safe for the gun that gives me fast access to the gun, but keeps anyone else out. I can leave a loaded gun in there if I can be sure that there is no circumstance (house fire) under which an accidentally fired bullet will escape the safe.

Suppose I have a safe for the gun that gives me fast access to the gun, but keeps anyone else out. I can leave a loaded gun in there if I can be sure that there is no circumstance (house fire) under which an accidentally fired bullet will escape the safe.

I'm still not getting the point of this thread
A revolver isn't just going to go off. Fire will burn through wood.

Why not just buy a pistol safe? It solves all your problems (though I'm still not sure what they are)

I'm still not getting the point of this thread
A revolver isn't just going to go off. Fire will burn through wood.

Why not just buy a pistol safe? It solves all your problems (though I'm still not sure what they are)

Do you know of a pistol safe that is guaranteed to keep the internal temperature below the temperature at which ammunition spontaneously goes off? If not, you need to think about where that bullet will end up.

NVM I had to re-read everything. I guess the only way to know is to test it out yourself when you find a place to do so. But if the fire has enough heat to detonate the bullets, then it probably has also done a great deal of damage to the wood on the outside layers at least, therefore decreasing structural strength. I'd head to the range

Do you know of a pistol safe that is guaranteed to keep the internal temperature below the temperature at which ammunition spontaneously goes off? If not, you need to think about where that bullet will end up.

I think I understand where you are coming from. I'm going to restate my earlier suggestion. If the gun is not in your direct control, unload it. If the ammutition does combust due to temperature, you'll have a detonation rather than ignition, which means the powder will ignite simutaneously rather than a controlled burn. The round won't travel very far or as fast.

I'm not a big fan of leaving loaded guns laying around, even in a safe or lockbox. I'm not criticizing your choice, just offering a different viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom