• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

38 spcl / 30 +P case question,,,,,,,

Lobo1

Default rank <5000 posts
Lone Wolf
25   0
Reaction score
I recently came into about 650 pieces of 38 brass give or take 50-75. About 20% of these are stamped 38 spcl +P. My question is this. I have reloaded thousands of 38 special loads but have never personally reloaded any cases that has the "+P" on the headstamp.
Would it be safe to reload the +P cases for my 38 special as long as I stick to my usual 38 spcl load data. I also sometimes shoot 38's in my GP-100 357 magnum too.
I think I know the answer but I wanted to run it by you guys before I did it.
If this topic has already been brought up here 2 or 100 times please forgive me. I did a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks for any input and everyone have a great and Blessed day.

Same case, the +p tells you the factory load was hotter and higher pressure. As long as it is marked 38spl I would not hesitate to use it. But by all means refer back to the manual.

What he said, use it as you have before, good to go

+P are better cases designed to withstand more pressure.

That's what I figured. I know what the +P means I just wanted to make sure other members had loaded them before I wasted time cleaning, sizing etc just to find they wouldn't work or chamber the same. As always ODT comes through. Thanks guys and all others are welcome to chime in.

Steel cases should not normally be a problem. Steel cases doesn't have the unique elasticity that good brass cases have. The steel case does not shrink back slightly after being fired and expanded into the chamber like brass does. So some guns with rough or tight chambers can sometimes have issues. Normally I would not reload steel cases, you also would run into a problem with crimps, after several times of crimping you would setup a stress crack at the crimp.
Sure they are not nickel?

Back
Top Bottom