.40 S&W Long

It is for the 1911 shooters, You can use a 10mm mag for better feeding reliability.

The 1911 was never ment to run on short bullets. It likes them around 1.24". The 38 Super, 10mm, and 45ACP fit the design of the 1911. 9's and 40's generally run better if loaded long. Berry Bullets even make a hollow base bullet to allow for a longer bullet COAL without increasing bullet weight. Some guns work pretty well without the long loadings by using mags with spacers in the rear, but it is tougher to get a 1911 to run on 9mm or Forty without some extra work.

Just a note: the standard forty easily matches the power and power factor of standard 45 loads.

OK, that answers my question--which was going to be does the ammo fit and function in a regular 10 MM mag?
I can see possibly where it might in a single stack 1911 mag as it has very little angle and doesn't off set the ammo.
Bet it would be a no go in most stacked mag 40's, especially like the EAA/ Tanfoglio mags that are fairly short front to rear.
as a note the 9 MM 1911 magazine is a 38 Super magazine with a spacer placed in it to better move the short cartridge into place for feeding, not familiar with a 40 1911 mag?

OK, that answers my question--which was going to be does the ammo fit and function in a regular 10 MM mag?
I can see possibly where it might in a single stack 1911 mag as it has very little angle and doesn't off set the ammo.
Bet it would be a no go in most stacked mag 40's, especially like the EAA/ Tanfoglio mags that are fairly short front to rear.
as a note the 9 MM 1911 magazine is a 38 Super magazine with a spacer placed in it to better move the short cartridge into place for feeding, not familiar with a 40 1911 mag?

In my experience, a 40 easily works in a 10mm mag, not backwards though if the 40 mag is too short. The Para-Ordnance 1911 40 S&W guns have a 10mm length mag and it is what I have used for years in my P16-40 with a 10mm barrel added. I also used a 10mm single stack 1911 mag for shooting 40 S&W out of a Thompson 10mm 1911 with a P16-40 barrel in it right after I milled the frame for the ramped barrel. Worked perfect. :)

Rosewood

I load my own 40sw with a longer than normal overall length too. I shoot a STI dvc limited in uspsa. The mags for this gun are the same for 40sw and 10mm. When I measured the chamber and where the lands and grooves start in the barrel, it seems like the gun was intended for a longer overall length. I've never attempted, nor would I attempt to shoot my recipe in any other gun. It was specifically measured for the gun it's used in

Back when 10 mm was new and ammo hard to find and incredibly expensive, there was a work around for reloading, use .40 cal brass and loading heavier bullets to 10 mm length.

I tried it, it worked, but I was never very comfortable doing it, because the round headspaced on the bullet. it was one of those "you could do this if you have to" things.

Back when 10 mm was new and ammo hard to find and incredibly expensive, there was a work around for reloading, use .40 cal brass and loading heavier bullets to 10 mm length.

When the 10mm was new, the 40 S&W didn't exist. The 40 was derived from the 10mm. Maybe you meant the resurgence in 10mm popularity??

Rosewood

When the 10mm was new, the 40 S&W didn't exist. The 40 was derived from the 10mm. Maybe you meant the resurgence in 10mm popularity??

Rosewood

no. The .40 obviously existed for this to work.

10 mm brass was virtually unobtainable, and 10 mm factory loads were exorbitant, it was nearly impossible to obtain a shootable quantity of 10 mm brass.

40 caliber brass was more available, much cheaper than 10 mm brass, and this work around was published.

The 10 mm was still "new" when the .40 hit the market.

If you consider 7 years old as new, then maybe so. The 10mm came out in 1983. The 40 S&W came out in 1990. I don't recall having any issues getting 10mm back in the early 90's. My dad had one since about 1990 and I bought my first around 1996. Not to say there wasn't a shortage, I just didn't see it. Bought most of my 10mm ammo from Georgia Arms back then until I started rolling my own.

Rosewood

If you consider 7 years old as new, then maybe so. The 10mm came out in 1983. The 40 S&W came out in 1990. I don't recall having any issues getting 10mm back in the early 90's. My dad had one since about 1990 and I bought my first around 1996. Not to say there wasn't a shortage, I just didn't see it. Bought most of my 10mm ammo from Georgia Arms back then until I started rolling my own.

Rosewood

The "10 mm auto" came out in 1983 in one pistol, the Bren Ten. The gun had reliability problems which reflected in the lack of popularity of the round. It was not designated as the 10 mm. That gun was the only gun that shot the round until Bren went out of business. There was little commercial interest in the round and virtually none in reloading it.

Also, the .41 magnum was still being pushed as a mainstream LEO gun, and the LEO market was dominated by revolvers.

The 10 mm did not gain popularity until it was adopted by the FBI in 1989, and then the 10 mm developed some commercial attraction. Prior to the FBI adoption, there was one pistol made in the US in 10 mm.

The 40 S&W was introduced in 1990, so yes, the 10 mm was still "new" to the commercial market. at that time.

Apparently others than myself observed issues with ammunition supply as there were several articles in mainstream gun magazines about the issue, including the one I referenced.
i

I'm glad for you that you did not have any trouble obtaining ammo,

To further the history. The FBI had issues with 10mm saying it was too powerful, seems some officers had issues controlling the gun. So they downloaded the 10mm to what came to be a 40 S&W equivalent. S&W said, hey, we can produce those ballistics with a shorter cartridge and put it in a 9mm framed gun, and thus the 40 S&W was born. So for S&W being the company that was selling the 10mm pistols to the FBI, they turned around and introduced their own competition to their gun. Guess it was a win win for them, because they was able to turn around and sell 40 S&Ws to the same folks that had just bought the 1026 and 1076 etc.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom