.40 Super or .45 Super

drjterrell

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with either of these rounds? I think that the .40 super is more powerful, but the .45 super is more easily available. Can't seem to locate barrels for either at the moment. I'm mostly just curious, I guess.

I thought that Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, Ace Custom Guns, & maybe Bar-Sto used to make these & may still do.

I haven't looked into them since the early 90's but do have some old mag. articles on the conversion barrels & guns.

I think you mean 400 corbon for the necked down 45acp to 40.

I will say it is ridiculous that we are slavishly stuck to 45acp. 460 rowland is the same OAL, 45 super is the same OAL, just better brass. If a gun was made for 45super you would simply have more versatility. Wanna shot the slower 45acp for less recoil, go ahead, want to take that same gun and drop a hog or crackhead, throw in the 45super! The problem is nothing is wrong per se with the 45acp, so there is resistance to change, but the alternatives have no drawbacks since they are literally the same dimensions (again the 460 rowland brass is 1mm longer only so idiots on't blow up their 45acp guns, 45super is exactly the same as 45acp.

KKM has supposedly stated a couple of times their 45acp glock barrel will hold up to the 45super, but obviously don't state if the gun itself can handle it.

Last edited:
I think you mean 400 corbon for the necked down 45acp to 40.

I will say it is ridiculous that we are slavishly stuck to 45acp. 460 rowland is the same OAL, 45 super is the same OAL, just better brass. If a gun was made for 45super you would simply have more versatility. Wanna shot the slower 45acp for less recoil, go ahead, want to take that same gun and drop a hog or crackhead, throw in the 45super! The problem is nothing is wrong per se with the 45acp, so there is resistance to change, but the alternatives have no drawbacks since they are literally the same dimensions (again the 460 rowland brass is 1mm longer only so idiots on't blow up their 45acp guns, 45super is exactly the same as 45acp.

The .40 Super & the .400 CorBon are actually two different calibers... not entirely sure of the difference but I would imagine they are similar in performance if not the same in dimensions.

DoubleTap makes ammo for the .40 Super but not the .400 CorBon.

Last edited:
You are (as you already knew) correct... good catch.
I would assume quite a difference in brass availablity & price.

Neither cartridge really outshines the 10mm in ballistics, well 40super kind of, but available loading data is limited, plus you get reduced capacity.

400 corbon moves 165gr at 1250fps
Double tap 10mm moves 165gr at 1400

Now this is news to me, but 40 super is something sick it is essentially 45 Super necked down to 40, they share the same parent case.
135gr at 1800fps
I'd like to see a 165gr or 180gr loading...ooooh found it
Double tap 180gr 40 super = 1450fps / 841ft.lbs. - Glock 21 6" barrel

compare that to 10mm with 135gr at 1600fps or 180gr. @ 1305fps/ 681 ft/lbs- 5.0" bbl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom