• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.40 Super or .45 Super

Neither cartridge really outshines the 10mm in ballistics, well 40super kind of, but available loading data is limited, plus you get reduced capacity.

400 corbon moves 165gr at 1250fps
Double tap 10mm moves 165gr at 1400

Now this is news to me, but 40 super is something sick it is essentially 45 Super necked down to 40, they share the same parent case.
135gr at 1800fps
I'd like to see a 165gr or 180gr loading

compare that to 10mm with 135gr at 1600fps

I would think that in a Glock even w/ a heavier recoil spring that either would be pretty hard on the frame if shot very much.

Now this is news to me, but 40 super is something sick it is essentially 45 Super necked down to 40, they share the same parent case.
135gr at 1800fps
I'd like to see a 165gr or 180gr loading...ooooh found it
Double tap 180gr 40 super = 1450fps / 841ft.lbs. - Glock 21 6" barrel

compare that to 10mm with 135gr at 1600fps or 180gr. @ 1305fps/ 681 ft/lbs- 5.0" bbl

Yep. That's the reason I was interested in it.

I would think that in a Glock even w/ a heavier recoil spring that either would be pretty hard on the frame if shot very much.

And...that's the concern.

I'm thinking something steel framed would be pretty important for shooting this bad boy. So, Laxguy, if it's 45 Super necked down to .40, does that mean it's a .45 Super casing? Or is it the .45 Win Mag? And I agree about offering a pistol that shoots a higher pressure .45 round. It's crazy that it's not routinely offered. I like big, slow moving bullets. But I think I might like big, faster bullets even better! :cool:

Easiest route to a 45 Super is a Smith 4506. From what I understand, all it needs is a recoil spring and a stiffer mag spring and you're off to the races. But why, when you could just buy a 1006....

Easiest route to a 45 Super is a Smith 4506. From what I understand, all it needs is a recoil spring and a stiffer mag spring and you're off to the races. But why, when you could just buy a 1006....

Nice I'll have to look into that
Yep. That's the reason I was interested in it.

And...that's the concern.

I'm thinking something steel framed would be pretty important for shooting this bad boy. So, Laxguy, if it's 45 Super necked down to .40, does that mean it's a .45 Super casing? Or is it the .45 Win Mag? And I agree about offering a pistol that shoots a higher pressure .45 round. It's crazy that it's not routinely offered. I like big, slow moving bullets. But I think I might like big, faster bullets even better! :cool:

45 super is derived from 45 Win Mag, 40 super is derived from 45 super, so they share the same lineage, but if your reloading, I assume you would form the round from 45 super brass.

Back
Top Bottom