• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

44 Magnum & 44 Special Loads - VihtaVuori

wjbaker1

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
11   0
Reaction score
I'm trying to get set up to load 44 Magnum (first timer). I purchased VihtaVuori N105 powder. I'd also like to load some 44 specials (or light 44 magnums), but can't seem to find a load with that powder.

Can I use a lighter charge of N105? Really I'm just wanting some lighter loads for practice. Right now I only have 44 magnum brass. Initially loading with Berrys 240gr FP bullets.

Any guidance?

Wish I could be some help, but I've used Unique for decades. Hang around, someone with a ton more knowledge than I will post something soon.

As mentioned 296 also known as H110 works great in 44 Mag, but not in 44 Special. I would recomend something like HP-38, HS-6 or Unique. If you don't have 44 Special brass, you can use your case trimmer and trim 44 Mag brass to 44 Special length. When my 44 Mag brass has been used so much that it splits the necks, I just trim it to 44 Special. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I know you can use N105 for 44 magnum. I'm trying to find a 44 special equivalent load or Cowboy Action load using N105 (so I don't have to go out and get a different powder).

I guess I should have purchased N320 instead...it has loads for both calibers on their website.

If the manufacture does not list a load for that powder then they feel it is not the right powder for that aplication.I have been using International for magnum and special loads in .44 caliber.Look up their load data on the Hogdon web site.

Back
Top Bottom