• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45-70 for deer?

bevans

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
111   0
Reaction score
What do y'all think about a Henry 45-70 for deer?

I'm new to deer hunting and will be going out with my FIL this season. So, out of my current rifles, the only 2 that I think would possibly be okay for deer are either my Henry 45-70 with XS rail and Leupold 1.5-4x28 IER Scout scope in Leupold Quick Release QWR2 rings. I also have a Henry X in 44 mag but it is irons only at the moment. However, I plan on adding the XS rail and optic soon.

I know both will take deer but I'm curious if there are any negatives to using the 45-70 or 44 mag?

Also, do you think more magnification would be better, or is the 1.5-4x sufficient?

EDITED to add shots will be within 60 yards.

I'm not against picking up a bolt action 308 or 30-06 and may do that anyway... but if I can save money and just use 1 of the above Henry rifles (even if I need a higher power scope) I'd rather do that.

45-70d.jpg

44 mag is a great gun for GA deer hunting out to about 100 yards. 4x scope is also fine for that distance. I can recall a time when that was the main scope power that everyone used for farther shots. 45-70 will give you a little more range and will get the job done but it is over-kill in my opinion. Just be careful not to shoot them in meaty parts where a lot of meat will get wasted. Should be great for heart lung shot.

44 mag is a great gun for GA deer hunting out to about 100 yards. 4x scope is also fine for that distance. I can recall a time when that was the main scope power that everyone used for farther shots. 45-70 will give you a little more range and will get the job done but it is over-kill in my opinion. Just be careful not to shoot them in meaty parts where a lot of meat will get wasted. Should be great for heart lung shot.

So, in your opinion do you think I'd be better off moving my 1.5-4x scope over to the 44mag and using it?

So, in your opinion do you think I'd be better off moving my 1.5-4x scope over to the 44mag and using it?
That is probably what I would do but that is just my opinion. A lot less recoil involved, less chance of wasted meat and probably cheaper ammo, but the 45-70 would give you a little longer shots if that is a concern. You might ask your FIL what kind of ranges to expect if he is hunting familiar ground.

New to the 45/70 but not to deer hunting. I’m supposed to be picking this new Ruger/Marlin up from Barrow guns in the next couple of weeks (layaway). I’ll be keeping it just irons for this season as I won’t have any shots past 60-70 yards where I hunt except for in my pecan orchard. I might go with the same optic that you have next season to answer your question on if it’s enough magnification. I’ll be using either Hornady leveroution 325gr FTX’s or HSM 405gr hardcast. I plan to put it about 6 inches behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. Will probably lose the ribs shooting this cannonball of a round but that’s MUCH better than losing both shoulders. With that nice scope of your’s a neck shot should be no problem which is my preferred shot for a quick humane kill with no tracking. Good luck to you this season!
IMG_7339.png

New to the 45/70 but not to deer hunting. I’m supposed to be picking this new Ruger/Marlin up from Barrow guns in the next couple of weeks (layaway). I’ll be keeping it just irons for this season as I won’t have any shots past 60-70 yards where I hunt except for in my pecan orchard. I might go with the same optic that you have next season to answer your question on if it’s enough magnification. I’ll be using either Hornady leveroution 325gr FTX’s or HSM 405gr hardcast. I plan to put it about 6 inches behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. Will probably lose the ribs shooting this cannonball of a round but that’s MUCH better than losing both shoulders. With that nice scope of your’s a neck shot should be no problem which is my preferred shot for a quick humane kill with no tracking. Good luck to you this season!
View attachment 6283678
Very Nice!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

45-70 is a lot of gun for a deer. You could hand load a round that would be more suitable. You would really have to be an expert if you were going to shoot distance. The trajectory of that round would have an enormous arc in it. As far as the scope, a good 3x9 power would work well. You definitely want a good scope because the recoil ain't going to be light in a 7lb weapon. And you want that scope to keep zero. However if you reload, you can tapper it down to a very usable round for deer. I'm all for keeping things simple and consolidated. Picking up a 308 and or a 3006 isn't a bad idea just to have on hand

Back
Top Bottom