• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 acp powder

lol... i noticed that too. I share loads that work for me with the general disclaimer that you should always do your own research.

Working up a new load "From Scratch" means at least a couple of trips to the range (likely more) and at ~$15 per visit ... equals a lot of time and money.
Sharing a great load with an experienced reloader is gift that is really, really, really appreciated!!! AND they know to do the research before using another's load data!

AA5 or win231

I used the older flake powders back years ago then started using Win 231 ball type powder in the early 90's and really liked it. Several years ago I tried Accurate Arms (AA#5) powders for .45 Colt/ACP loads. I prefer ball type powders for the ease of metering and accuracy of the charge with powder measures.

I like AA#5 and it is more versatile for use in other calibers, does fill the case well and is decently clean. For 230 grain FMJ under 8 grains seated 1.26" OAL works well and with a 200 grain SWC under 7.8 grains seated 1.27" OAL works as well too. I use it in my 10 mm barn burners: 135 grain JHP that is pushing right at 1600 FPS in a 6.02" barrel.

I also tried the faster AA#2 and it is very economical but with little powder in the case a double charge would be easy to miss. However it produced some very nice 200 grain SWC groups. The data on AA#2 was 200 grain lead cast SWC under 5 grains seated 1.27" OAL with a taper crimp (taper crimp for all semi-auto pistols). I use it for 230 grain FMJ under 5.4 grains AA#2 seated to 1.26" OAL.

I'd caution anyone trying to use this data or other loads listed here to verify it first before using it. Powders can vary from lot# to lot# and especially when pushing maximum levels it then becomes critical to load down then slowly increase the charge to meet your intent with the consideration for the type of firearm it will be used in.

Last edited:
I've only loaded Bullseye and AA#5. Plated bullets of various weight but right now I'm loading a 200gr RN.. .45 is fun to load and you can just about make it comparable to any other semi auto pistol round. You can load a fast burning powder behing a light bullet to low velocities and have an awesome low recoil target round. 230gr ball ammo is standard 45 fare and hard to beat. Getting into +p territory can bring 200gr HP to 1050fps and 185gr to 1100fps equating to some fairly impressive energy.

Speaking of unique and Bulleye.. While I was out at the Shot Show this week I stopped a the Alliant booth to see a new version of Bullseye.

don't recall exactly what they are going to call it( BU - xxx or - ???) but it is modified bulleye that will have the exact same burn rate as Unique and feed through progressive reloaders much better than Unique.. guy said they pretty muich just flatten out the grains to elongate them..

Speaking of unique and Bulleye.. While I was out at the Shot Show this week I stopped a the Alliant booth to see a new version of Bullseye.

don't recall exactly what they are going to call it( BU - xxx or - ???) but it is modified bulleye that will have the exact same burn rate as Unique and feed through progressive reloaders much better than Unique.. guy said they pretty muich just flatten out the grains to elongate them..

HMMMM ... I wonder how that is going to affect metering...? Also, (hopefully) they will give it a name that does not confuse it with the original BULLS EYE!!!!
Hornady has already confused us enough with it's naming conventions.
Accurate and consistent "Metering" is a MAJOR consideration for me and is the only reason that I DO NOT use Varget!

Thanks for all information received,,and picked several powders to start with from info...I am pretty conservative about my loads,,and will probably start at mid point and go from there..Again THANKS to all for input and information....Have a Great week to all

if you reload multiple pistol calibers you may want to check out ramshot trueblue. it meters very well in progressive reloaders and has a high density also, to help prevent double charging like you can do with unique. i load 9mm, .357, .45acp etc. with it and it saves money from having several powders.

Back
Top Bottom