• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.45 acp powder

I don't let that old argument from 30+ years ago deter me from carrying the best ammo I can.

If I'm forced to use one, who assembled it will be the least of my worries.

Way I see it you are either justified or not and according to GA law if you are justified you are immune from criminal and civil penalties. That is good enough for me! Now as far as powders I like Titegroup and universal. I can't say that I like any of the alliant powders as the one's I've delt with are very dirty.

Thanks to all fo powder info..and I really enjoy reading the rest of people's views and thoughts..So don't be concerned about derailing a thread....have a GREAT DAY TO ALL,,,,,,,PS.,,,,I have Red dot and bullseye,,,,,,Will get the others and start in next few days,,,with 25 or so of each

Last edited:
As I've posted many times, the Universal powder is basically a much cleaner/efficient burning and better metering Unique.

These are very versatile burn rate powders. The HP38/W231 works well too. I prefer the Universal because it generally yields better load density in the cavernous cases of some older calibers. This makes for easy reliable ignitions and a mischarged case jumps out at you.

I like AA#5 for these same reasons. Clean, low flash, fills the case nicely and meters well. I understand that Accurate #5 was developed specifically for the .45acp
its also my dual purpose powder for 9mm and .45

I use titegroup in my .45 ... both for personal defense loads and plinkers. Very accurate (more so than factory) out of my G30SF and the plinkers are light recoiling loads. Loaded at max (data max), My self defense loads push similar velocities of non +P JHP factory ammo. Difference is, mine is hella more accurate... so yes, I carry my own.

Not to mention the advantage of being able to practice with the ammo you ACTUALLY carry and doing it affordably as well.

Sorry to derail the thread, I'll make a new post because I am curious about everyone's ideas on the whole subject about the reload versus factory ammo for self defense.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom