• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

480 FPS on a BB Gun question

dr9

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for a non-lethal pest deterrent, is 480 too powerful? I had a spring-loaded $25 walmart special that was probably more like 100 FPS and it worked for a while before permanently jamming up like a the plastic chinese piece of crap it was, looking to upgrade but not necessarily to cause permanent bodily harm, just for harassment purposes.

I'm looking for a non-lethal wildlife deterrent, is 480 too powerful for, say, chasing off a goose or stray cat etc? I had a spring-loaded $25 walmart special that was probably more like 100 FPS and it worked for a while before permanently jamming up like a the plastic chinese piece of crap it was, looking to upgrade but not necessarily to cause permanent bodily harm, just for harassment purposes.
I use airsoft for running off critters that I don't necessarily want to kill. I did an experiment with a low powered daisy and it punched into a full water bottle at about 20 ft so I figured that's probably not the best for soft bodies.
Obliviously no head shots with either.

It ain’t legal to shoot geese or cats with bb guns. You shoot some folks cats with a BB gun and they will try to get you locked up - or worse.
A good dog will solve all your problems.

A steel .177 BB at 480 fps would probably break the skin, even after it went through feathers or fur.

A typical Daisy lever action BB gun made for six year old kids shoots about 320 ft./second.
I wouldn't use anything with a higher velocity than that and consider it "less lethal."

The airgun that shoots 480 ft./s could cause a wound that leads to an infection.

It could cause nerve damage.

If it hits over a bone, it could chip the bone.

And, of course, if you hit the animal in the throat or the eye or the ear you could cripple or kill it that way.....

This Crosman "Marksman" BB pistol

looks vaguely like a model 1911,

is easy to conceal for a short walk out into your yard if you don't want your neighbors seeing you holding a long gun ....

is a single shot...

... and fires its BBs at only 200 ft./s
that should be in the nonlethal class.

Oh, and these BB pistols sell for about $25.

73CB8F70-3D29-4CBF-A4B8-91FD180C8901.jpeg

This Crosman "Marksman" BB pistol

looks vaguely like a model 1911,

is easy to conceal for a short walk out into your yard if you don't want your neighbors seeing you holding a long gun ....

is a single shot...

... and fires its BBs at only 200 ft./s
that should be in the nonlethal class.

Oh, and these BB pistols sell for about $25.

View attachment 4306367
That's pretty much what I had growing up but can't find one these days, only cheap crappy plastic versions. Got a link where I can buy that one?

well.... no.
I see a lot of them advertised for sale used but not new ones not in stock anyway.

And I don't know if they are made of a cheap zinc metal like the ones I used to use as a kid (and I still have one in my garage today). If they have changed the design to be an all plastic gun I don't know anything about that.

By the way I was wrong about this being a Crossman Marksman.
Markman was its own independent airgun company for years, and now it is under the Beeman airgun company. It has no affiliation with Crossman.

Back
Top Bottom