• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

5.2l jeep serpentine belt alignment problem

Brothers In Arms

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
312   0
Reaction score
Attention: calling all odt jeep engine, serpentine belt, pulley/pump/tensioner jedi knights.....please report to this thread immediately for assistance...and a very sincere "thank you" up front!

I picked up a 1996 jeep grand cherokee recently with the 5.2l v8 with 210k mileage. I believe its the original engine....not 100% sure.

On my third short trip, several miles at most, my serp belt fell off in a parking lot and ended up behind the jeep....still intact, but with about a 2 ft long split along one edge. There was no warning and no strange noises prior to this at all on the other short trips i took. It simply came off in a matter of seconds driving slowly in a parking lot. Of course it slapped around a few times very quickly but that was the only indicator.

I had someone replace the serpentine belt with a new one while i was at work.
The new belt is already fraying and cracking with not even 30 miles on it.
I have a receipt from the previous owner for a new drivebelt tensioner assembly and serp belt (the one that fell off) that were installed at a normal automotive repair shop about a year and a half ago....or approx 150 miles ago.

I have attached pics where it is obvious that the belt is riding too far forward, nearest the radiator, on the crank pulley and is not aligned correctly causing friction and the splitting/fraying....this much i can see for myself. My question is where would you start to remedy this?

Should i replace the drivebelt tensioner (if so...who makes the best one?). Maybe the current one is defective, or it was installed wrong, since it is the newest replaced item as of a year and a half ago? Any help is most appreciated as i am NOT very mechanically inclined...allthough i have learned a little bit looking into this. I did not find a single online video addressing this same issue....believe me i looked alot.

Also...my 5.2 has 7 total pulleys and pumps, to include an air conditioning compressor. The a/c blows...but is not cold, if that has any relevance.

Attachments

• 20160925_101050.jpg
    20160925_101050.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20160925_100655.jpg
    20160925_100655.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 113
  • 20160925_101227.jpg
    20160925_101227.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 114
The picture of the idler pully#1, That's the crank?
the belt is not riding on the pully correctly and will Frey the belt. The idler pully ,is it on there correctly, does is have any play in it ? But with only 3 pics it may have other problems causing it to not line up straight, the crank pully is the first pully I would stat with when installing an seep belt

The picture of the idler pully#1, That's the crank?
the belt is not riding on the pully correctly and will Frey the belt. The idler pully ,is it on there correctly, does is have any play in it ? But with only 3 pics it may have other problems causing it to not line up straight, the crank pully is the first pully I would stat with when installing an seep belt

Picture pulley locations:
top left...crank pulley, yes. Very clearly its off track there.
top right...alternator...note fray and missing 2 inch portion, i cut it off
bottom pic....drivebelt tensioner put on 1 1/2 years ago...leads me to believe this issue was incorrectly adressed to begin with.

the belt looks like it was not installed all the way on the crank pulley grooves.(one groove was missed) install a new belt and start the engine. the belt should run straight (looking from side) all pulleys should line up.

Either the belt rode off a pulley or you have an alignment issue , grab all of the pulleys and make sure they do not have an excess amount of play . You can have an idler or a tensioner failing . Check everything including the vehicle accessories . Don't forget to check the harmonic balancer . If the rubber is failing you could have issues .

the belt looks like it was not installed all the way on the crank pulley grooves.(one groove was missed) install a new belt and start the engine. the belt should run straight (looking from side) all pulleys should line up.
I hope its that simple, and that i am that naive to all this.
Thx...seems to be a trend developing
Either the belt rode off a pulley or you have an alignment issue , grab all of the pulleys and make sure they do not have an excess amount of play . You can have an idler or a tensioner failing . Check everything including the vehicle accessories . Don't forget to check the harmonic balancer . If the rubber is failing you could have issues .
I will be checking all this soon enough....not sure what you mean by vehicle accesories though.

As mentioned, the harmonic balancer may have failed. The other item to check very closely is the waterpump. At that mileage, it is bound to have a new waterpump, and if it is on wrong (or wrong pump installed), your belt will never line up.

Serpentine belts are stupid easy to install, but they can be installed wrong.

Back
Top Bottom