• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

50 year old 28 Ga shotgun shells?

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
I have these three complete boxes of shells, got them from a relative that died about 10 yrs ago. He had dated all of his ammo, I assume it was the date he got it. I am wondering if they might have any collector value. They are paper shells. I am not afraid to shoot them, and if no one has any desire to have them I will be shooting them. Thanks, Wallacem in Ga

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 52
Those do have a collectors value ..not much tho those winchesters are fairly common but the 28 gauge is not so to a collector you could probably squeeze 15 to 25 a box ...I would be interested if I wasn't to far away and shipping would be 20.00 hope that helps ...

That is only because you went to bed young and woke up old. The shotgun shells grew old gradually and gracefully. I'm probably the only one who makes any sense out of this.

Nope, I remember shooting waxed paper shotgun shells that were dated and old over 40 years ago.

I have plastic 20 gauge shells that Dad gave me a year or two ago from the same batch I shot when I was 9, 42 years ago. They have the same smell, the same smell of my youth. I took many a rabbit and bird with those shells. I recently fired a few and that same smell returned...

And that's priceless gentlemen.

Fond memories...

Last edited:
Nope, I remember shooting waxed paper shotgun shells that were dated and old over 40 years ago.

I have plastic 20 gauge shells that Dad gave me a year or two ago from the same batch I shot when I was 9, 42 years ago. They have the same smell, the same smell of my youth. I took many a rabbit and bird with those shells. I recently fired a few and that same smell returned...

And that's priceless gentlemen.

Fond memories...

I think I still have some 20's that were left over from my hunting on my uncles farm when I was a teenager. That was way longer ago than when you were a teenager. Still have my Dad's old 20 gauge sxs I played them on. Springfield Arms which became a part of Stevens, which became a part of Savage.

However, as predicted, that was not my reference in my post. GeauxLSU had posted on his 50th birthday that he went to bed young (49) and woke up old (50).I just happened to remember that post and commented on it. I think JWC liked it as well.

Glad you were paying attention though. Always a pleasure.

C.

I've got some handloaded paper hull 410's from my dad. I've got some boxes of federal "duck and pheasant" load. They are LEAD shot. Also some "Montgomery Ward" brand (plastic hull) shells. I intend to shoot all of them.... "one day".
(Still old this morning)

Probably will be tomorrow morning too.

I have a wooden crate full of "old" shells that I got after dad passed. Have not shot any yet, not sure what I am waiting for. I don't have the guns he shot them in tho. Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom