• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.4 Powerstroke

Glock 21

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
223   2
Reaction score
Looking at getting a 2008 F250 6.4 Powerstroke with 177k miles on it. It has had the DPF amd EGR delete done as well as been studded. Just curious for anything to watch for while checking it out? Ive been driving a 7.3 Powerstroke for years so im familiar with diesels but not up to date on the pros and cons of the 6.4

It's a common rail motor, my buddy has one with similar mileage and it's a stout truck but little things like a fuel rail pressure switch can cause all sorts of headaches. It's between the firewall and block with a lot of cuss words in between. He pulled a camper for me when my truck had a problem and that sucker did pull hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you have a huge pocket these 6.4 are pure junk and simple google you shall seek

But anything can be fixed and repaird with the right savings account hope you dont have kids because they will not be going to collage as long as you have it .....real question how much money you got

Being very blunt but is needed to help you decide i mean well i swear

Hope you have a huge pocket these 6.4 are pure junk and simple google you shall seek

But anything can be fixed and repaird with the right savings account hope you dont have kids because they will not be going to collage as long as you have it .....real question how much money you got

Hahahahaha!

Before i bought my last truck I looked at a lot of different diesels. I spoke with a lot of diesel mechanics that worked on them. In short I was told economy wise, buy a Ford 7.3 or buy one of the varieties of the cummins. All the others was a roll of the dice, you may get a great one, or you may get a bad one, but there was no middle road. Was told the 7.3 and cummins wouldn't pull the hardest, or fastest, but would still be running when the job was done. If you already have a 7.3, the money would be better spent refreshing that engine and even souping it up a little over buying anything else. Just my two cents. My dad drives a 7.3, and I'm running a cummins 6.7, neither have given grief. My dad has owned his for 5 years now and I have had my cummins for 2. Owned a 2006 duramax for about 7 months. constant injector and fuel related issues. Loved the Alison transmission though. Several guys at my church bought the 6.0 and 6.4 power strokes because they were die hard ford guys and had to have more power than the 7.3 provided.....they were constantly cursing about them and wishing they had their old 7.3s back.

Googled 6.4 problems this popped up first
Them saw 30 post after

Screenshot_20170501-105948.png

Most bad ive heard is been tied to the EGR or DPF which have both been deleted already. Hoping to get a good one but you are 100% correct when something breaks it aint cheap.

Before i bought my last truck I looked at a lot of different diesels. I spoke with a lot of diesel mechanics that worked on them. In short I was told economy wise, buy a Ford 7.3 or buy one of the varieties of the cummins. All the others was a roll of the dice, you may get a great one, or you may get a bad one, but there was no middle road. Was told the 7.3 and cummins wouldn't pull the hardest, or fastest, but would still be running when the job was done. If you already have a 7.3, the money would be better spent refreshing that engine and even souping it up a little over buying anything else. Just my two cents. My dad drives a 7.3, and I'm running a cummins 6.7, neither have given grief. My dad has owned his for 5 years now and I have had my cummins for 2. Owned a 2006 duramax for about 7 months. constant injector and fuel related issues. Loved the Alison transmission though. Several guys at my church bought the 6.0 and 6.4 power strokes because they were die hard ford guys and had to have more power than the 7.3 provided.....they were constantly cursing about them and wishing they had their old 7.3s back.

Motor still going strong but for the ampunt of miles i drive in it im really wanting something newer with a smoother ride. The old 7.3 is a workhorse no doubt but it will beat you to death on a long trip.

Back
Top Bottom