• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8 SPC shooters, I need your advice.

Jmposey

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
Buy a LWRC Six8 rifle for $2,000, or just buy a PSA 6.8 upper for my 5.56 AR? (And save $1,600)

I’ve never had a 6.8 before, but I’m pretty sure I want one. But I need it to be just as reliable and accurate as my 5.56 AR, because I want it to be my primary SHTF-EDC rifle.

Has anyone had good or bad luck with the PSA 6.8 uppers on a standard lower?
(Or other manufacturer. It doesn’t have to be PSA, but that’s the one I’m looking at.)

What problems or issues should I be aware of going into this?

Thoughts and advice?

the main advantage of the LWRC lower/rifle is the ability to use Magpul 6.8 mags. It's the only system on the market that can utilize the Magpul (AFAIK, but it's been a few years since I looked at them). Also last time I checked you could actually purchase a stripped upper and lower from LWRCi in 6.8.

Other than that, take a look at some of the reviews and info on the .68 forum. It's been a while since I did any research into them but the chamber and twist rates changed over the years, make sure you get one that's "current". I'd probably go with something from AR15 Performance for the upper. They have LOTS of experience building the right setup for 6.8spc.

https://www.ar15performance.com

If this is going to be your primary SHTF EDC rifle, I think your choice is obvious (though not sure 6.8 is widespread enough to be a good SHTF caliber). I’d only consider the PSA if you just wanted to try out the 6.8, but if you’re sure you’ll be in it long term, grab the LWRC if you can afford it.

I have a Stag 6.8SPC that I really like and it’s priced in between. It has been flawless with factory mags as well as Magpul 5.56 mags. Granted, with 6.8 ammo prices still high, it’s only got a few hundred rounds through it. I’ve had it for years now waiting for 6.8 to go “mainstream”. Not sure that day will ever come.

If this is going to be your primary SHTF EDC rifle, I think your choice is obvious (though not sure 6.8 is widespread enough to be a good SHTF caliber). I’d only consider the PSA if you just wanted to try out the 6.8, but if you’re sure you’ll be in it long term, grab the LWRC if you can afford it.

I have a Stag 6.8SPC that I really like and it’s priced in between. It has been flawless with factory mags as well as Magpul 5.56 mags. Granted, with 6.8 ammo prices still high, it’s only got a few hundred rounds through it. I’ve had it for years now waiting for 6.8 to go “mainstream”. Not sure that day will ever come.

Sound reasoning.

the main advantage of the LWRC lower/rifle is the ability to use Magpul 6.8 mags. It's the only system on the market that can utilize the Magpul (AFAIK, but it's been a few years since I looked at them). Also last time I checked you could actually purchase a stripped upper and lower from LWRCi in 6.8.

Other than that, take a look at some of the reviews and info on the .68 forum. It's been a while since I did any research into them but the chamber and twist rates changed over the years, make sure you get one that's "current". I'd probably go with something from AR15 Performance for the upper. They have LOTS of experience building the right setup for 6.8spc.

https://www.ar15performance.com

This is good advice. I have several 6.8s as well. I really like the caliber.

All of my 6.8’s are more accurate than my 556s..

But I’ve never had a PSA. It may not be as accurate. LWRC is very top shelf. You’re really asking very top shelf verse bottom of the barrel. There’s lots of good ones in between including AR15 performance barrels and builds using your barrels.

I agree you should flip over to 68forums and do a little research over there.

PSA may not be the proper twist rate, and may not be the proper chamber spec either. There have been some changes over the last decade.

LWRC most certainly will be. LWRC uses different mags than all other six eights. The Six8 mags for LWRC are made by Magpul.

Some people have occasionally had trouble with other mags. I have not.

I think you would be perfectly happy with middle shelf build using AR15 Performance barrel or similar. Wilson combat, etc.

But if you have the money, LWRC Six8 is a beautiful gun. If I did it again I may just buy that one myself and be done with it.

Yeah, I’ve got the money for the Six8, but only just barely. That’s pretty much my entire gun budget for a year or more. But I’ll do it if that’s the way to go.

And I’m totally ok with building something from parts. So that’s an option too.

And I know 6.8 isn’t widespread enough to be the best SHTF caliber, so reloading will have to be a big part of my prepping.

I’ve got a BCM upper with a Wilson bolt and barrel. Shoots MOA all day. ARP bolts and barrels are supposedly cream of the crop as well. One of the benefits to building on an AR-15 receiver is that you can change the caliber if desired. The lower on the LWRC is a different geometry, built entirely around the magpul 6.8 mag, so you can never change calibers, and it’s only compatible with magpul 6.8 mags, which are supposedly more reliable than standard 6.8 mags.
You really only need a new upper with 6.8 barrel and BCG, and some 6.8 mags to shoot. You can re-use an existing lower. The most cost effective route is gonna be building an upper. And if you build you can always play with different barrel lengths, rather than being stuck with the LWRC offering.

Back
Top Bottom