• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.8spc. testing

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I usually go to my Old Reliable IMR 8208 XBR and I have found it to be real accurate out of all three of my 6.8 barrels. Two Wilson Combats and one Daniel Defense. I have a 14.7 WC, a 18 inch Super Sniper WC and a 16 inch CHF CL DD. All three barrels do excellent with the 8208 powder. Well I thought I would try some recommendations from ODT and a 6.8 forum. A few people spat out A2200 as a good option. That stuff ain't wuff a dayam! I was all over the place with that powder. So with said, does anybody else have anything even remotely close to 8208. Since that 2200 was hitting every square inch of the target except a two inch circle around the bullseye. So I open for good options. I don't necessarily need exact results but is something at least a decent hunting/ defense offering.

Which bullet/weight? I load a bunch of 85gr bonded bullets, so AA2200 has worked pretty well for me. AA2230 is supposed to be another good option, especially with 115gr bullets.

It depends a lot on what bullet weight you are loading. I have had good luck with A2200 in some bullets, H322 works well for others. CFE Black works well for 90gr Gold Dots.
A2200 for 120gr SST and 110gr, H322 for 100gr Accubond, also works well for 90gr.

Ever loaded 130 or 140 gr bullets in it?

No real reason to. You have to seat them too deep to fit the mag, which loses you case capacity....and velocities really aren't that great. Sure, you can load them if you just have a bunch of cheap bullets, but the round really shines with 85-115gr bullets.

No real reason to. You have to seat them too deep to fit the mag, which loses you case capacity....and velocities really aren't that great. Sure, you can load them if you just have a bunch of cheap bullets, but the round really shines with 85-115gr bullets.
I agree. I like 90 to 100 grain projectiles best because it takes advantage of speed and weight over the 5.56. Although the 110 tends to be the load I just found the majik combo on. Plus loading a little hot increases printed velocity. So I am in total agreement with that statement. I will find the right powder/ charge weight combo I just need to step up development since the heat has let up.

Back
Top Bottom