• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6mm ARC AR15

How many of you have considered leaving 308 for 6mm arc? Either now or sometime in the future. Hear me out…

If 6mm arc was born out of a DoD request & they’re using in field, I’m guessing it’s here to stay?

Scenario… I’m poor, so I can only own one caliber/system. If it’s longevity and proliferation is almost certain, I’d seriously consider swapping my one & only “all-arounder” built 308 AR system to a “all-arounder” 6mm ARC system. (18-20” barrel). Hear me out…

308 gas guns & ammo in general are bigger & heavier. How much of a detriment would you be in, moving from 308 AR cartridge to a 6mm arc?

I see significant size & weight & recoil savings in 6mm.
6mm is a heck of a lot better performer than 77gr 5.56.
I assume 308 carries a heck of a lot more energy than 6mm arc.
Todays Prices on match ammo for both are virtually equal. And if 6mm catches on, there will be more projectile/load options & training ammo to be had, ideally reducing its price a little. That’ll take time.

Is it easier to be more accurate with 6mm arc vs 308? I can’t find a chart to compare the 108 grain vs a 168 or 175 grain for elevation, windage & retained energy out to 1000…

Side note: would be cool to see the same chart with 77gr 5.56 Mk262.

My other concern is that it’s young and not been on the block very long for vetting. Maybe I just need to sit & wait a few more years to see how things pan out. But I don’t think my ADHD will allow me to sit still for that long! Gotta have it now!

I know a guy…

How many of you have considered leaving 308 for 6mm arc? Either now or sometime in the future. Hear me out…

If 6mm arc was born out of a DoD request & they’re using in field, I’m guessing it’s here to stay?

Scenario… I’m poor, so I can only own one caliber/system. If it’s longevity and proliferation is almost certain, I’d seriously consider swapping my one & only “all-arounder” built 308 AR system to a “all-arounder” 6mm ARC system. (18-20” barrel). Hear me out…

308 gas guns & ammo in general are bigger & heavier. How much of a detriment would you be in, moving from 308 AR cartridge to a 6mm arc?

Todays Prices on match ammo for both are virtually equal. And if 6mm catches on, there will be more projectile/load options & training ammo to be had, ideally reducing its price a little. That’ll take time.

Is it easier to be more accurate with 6mm arc vs 308? I can’t find a chart to compare the 108 grain vs a 168 or 175 grain for elevation, windage & retained energy out to 1000…

My other concern is that it’s young and not been on the block very long for vetting. Maybe I just need to sit & wait a few more years to see how things pan out. But I don’t think my ADHD will allow me to sit still for that long! Gotta have it now!

I can’t see leaving a 5.56 AR for a 6mm. 6ARC will never be as cheap as any 5.56 especially if you reload. I have 6.8spc as well as 300bo and a 308 AR. Gotta cover the bases. I don’t see the 6ARC doing anything I can’t do with 6.8spc besides punching paper just a bit further out.

The whole “if it catches on” isn’t going to happen. 6.8spc was developed for the military and is being used around the world, 300 blackout ditto. I think even the 458 SOCOM was developed for the military. None of those are going to be anywhere near 5.56 popularity and they’ve been out for quite a while.

isn’t 6 arc just a rebranded 6BR? 6BR has been around since 1978. I know parent cartridges are different, but I don’t understand all the excitement.

Commercially available ammo? ARs chambered in them instead of 6BR?

Also, don’t want to be a wet blanket. More choices are always better.

isn’t 6 arc just a rebranded 6BR? 6BR has been around since 1978. I know parent cartridges are different, but I don’t understand all the excitement.

Commercially available ammo? ARs chambered in them instead of 6BR?

Also, don’t want to be a wet blanket. More choices are always better.
6arc is ground up designed to feed in a gasser. 6 br really struggles there

It blows 308 out of the water in elevation. 308 hits the trans-sonic zone at 880 yards. Reason being is it stays supersonic out to 1000 to 1200 yards depending on barrel length, and gas gun vs bolt gun. You will always get more pressure on a bolt gun. 52,000 psi on a gas gun and I believe 65000 psi on a bolt gun for 6 mm arc.

6 arc also preforms really well even out of shorter barrels. Doesn’t lose to much velocity. Now this is data charts and would be good to see what it does in the real world with a shorter barrel.

Not my data
IMG_5519.png

and then for those that are fans of the 6mm stuff, I know SOLGW is working hard on the new 6mm MAX cartridge that's supposed to be "better" than the 6 ARC and addresses some of the shortcomings. I know nothing just that they are excited about the MAX and saying it's better. I didn't bother to read details as I'm happy with the 5.56 for most uses (range, plinking, HD, etc), have the 6.8SPC if I want to hunt with a small frame AR, 300 if I want to be quiet about things, and 308 if I want to reach out and touch things further away or hiding behind things.

Sounds like I need to be looking into this 6.8 SPC inste
What exactly are your seeking? AR for target or competition? Hunting? General replacement for 5.56? Short barrel vs long barrel? Suppressed or un-suppressed? I ask because there is a host of options to 5.56 in small frame ARs and most have a niche. Depending on use (and logistics of reload vs factory ammo) will lead to the "best" choice.

6.8SPC "niche" is hunting - it started out as potential military round but in US it seems to be mostly used for hunting deer and hogs to 300ish.

I have several of the niche small frame AR caliber uppers - if only getting one I would get 6ARC now and skip 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel (or wait on 22 ARC or see what happens with 6MAX and the inevitable 22MAX).

Back
Top Bottom