87 ford f150 question

Uwood52

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie
87   0
Reaction score
Just picked this truck up on trade with intentions of fixing it up and making it a family work truck.

It runs great and strong. Has a 302 v8 efi automatic. The only issue I've had is, I stopped to get gas and when I started it back, and put it into reverse, it died.

Once I got it jumped back off I was able to get it home without any problems. As soon as I got home, it turned it off and tried to restart it and it would not. After 20 mins, I tried again and it fired right up. I drove it around the block with no problems.

Then I drove it to the store, never turned it off, put it into gear and it died again. Wife had to jump me off to get it home.

All that to ask...anyone have any thoughts?

My initial thought was either 1) too dead of battery 2) starter 3) alternator...

Thanks for any help!

87 f150.jpg f150 engine.jpg

the fuel injection needs a constant 12.5 volts and if the voltage drops it will shut down to protect its components....so take the alternator or truck to auto zone and test it..my guess is an alternator problem..wouldn't hurt to change battery but they can test it too..oh and a word to the wise..water pump next..but also check the ground negative side battery terminal..if any corrosion.remove the cable and clean with sand cloth or scotch bright until all corrosion is removed and make sure its tight when installing back

Last edited:
I just got it back from testing the battery, alternator, and starter. All work fine. There was a sensor that was recently changed, and so they said that it will need to cycle through a few times to "relearn" different idles. It hasn't given me any problems so far today. He said that if it does it again after a day or two of driving, then we can narrow it down a bit more. Any of this sound right?

I just got it back from testing the battery, alternator, and starter. All work fine. There was a sensor that was recently changed, and so they said that it will need to cycle through a few times to "relearn" different idles. It hasn't given me any problems so far today. He said that if it does it again after a day or two of driving, then we can narrow it down a bit more. Any of this sound right?
throttle position sensor sounds like to me but that shouldn't keep it from running just idling or shudder stalling..also the oil pressure switch if failing will turn fuel off to protect motor...may also be a fuel regulator issue ..have the fuel pressure tested..should be no less than 35 psi at idle

140K miles, he changed the oil pump recently and the sensor, that I can't remember what he called it.
if he changed the oil pump..find the oil sending unit and replace it its a cheap part and could be the entire problem...also have the oil pressure checked...can you see evidence of the oil pan being removed? clean.. gasket look fresh?...i cant remember if this has an oil level sensor..but it may and will be in the side of the oil pan with a weather pak connector

thanks! I'll check for that! My mechanic told me it was obvious he had changed it. I will ask him about the oil sending unit too though. I do know that the oil pressure gauge doesn't work right. It shows pressure when I accelerate but not when it idles.

When it doesn't start does the motor spin over easily or does it act sorta like the battery is too weak to turn it over? If the timing is retarded it will crank when the engine is cooled down but not when hit. If the timing is advanced it will crank but the valves will clatter and ping.

Hot, not hit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom