87 ford f150 question

No problem. Just trying to help you out. May not be any help at all though. BTW , I was reading over the comments and I told you one thing backwards. Where I told you about the timing advanced and retarded,,,,,,,, reverse that

If the oil is leaking at the oil pump gasket you won't see it. The oil will leak out of that joint and stay inside the oil pan. But it won't circulate through the engine.

Update on my truck... it was a starter! Changed it out today. Runs like a champ! I'm having to fix it up a little at a time ($$) but it's really looking good! Saving up for a new paint job. Doesn't really have any dents or dings, so it shouldn't be too hard to get done!

Update on my truck... it was a starter! Changed it out today. Runs like a champ! I'm having to fix it up a little at a time ($$) but it's really looking good! Saving up for a new paint job. Doesn't really have any dents or dings, so it shouldn't be too hard to get done!

That's great to hear. Thanks for the update. Good luck and please keep us posted on progress.. :peace:

New problem...the ignition switch is fried. I tried to fix it myself and nothing worked. Took it to my mechanic and he tore the whole thing apart. Says the steering column needs to be replaced. He also said that they are hard to come by for that year model f150...any thoughts?

i think your mech might have forgotten to take
some pics and now you gotta buy an unnecessary
part.

there may be some correlation between replacing
the starter recently and ign switch burning up.

ive had a few of those 302's with the Thick Film IGN
SYS and can tell you right off the bat if you are gonna
have wiring problems get ready for a ride.

They're good trucks,but the same year GM is a better
older truck to own.

I asked him about the ignition switch and he said it probably did burn up, but it was obvious to that the pins in the column were bad. Said that they would turn either way without pushing down on one pin that I can't remember.

I have found a complete column on CL if the guy will call me back. He's in Buckhead.

In my experience these trucks all have bad columns. Some just mess up earlier than others. The problem doesn't start in actual key switch it's further down the column. Where the rod pushes the ignition module over, it's supposed to spring back but it doesn't, then it over heats. In the past some trucks even caught fire. When I have owned these style trucks and started having this trouble I just ran a push button ignition system. You still need the key to turn on the power but just push the button to start. I'll try to find a link about this and post it later.

bought 1 awhile back old man died and wife couldnt
find the keys. I-6 4x4 new tires. i hot wired it in the
driveway used some channel locks to push down
rod. fired right up. sold it to a guy-we agreed on a
price and he came the next day and offered a hundred
less. i took it and every once in a blue moon i see
him tooling around town in it and it pisses me off. no
one to blame but me. i think they teach that lowball
tactic in grade school around here.

rant over.

GL with your truck and if you decide to have it painted
post some pics up.