• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Case Deformation

If the bulge is all the way around the case, you have the perfect "wasp-waist" case and everything is just great.
If you have a bulge to one side, then the bullet seated crooked. Either you didn't place it square on the case or the seating stem doesn't fit well and the bullet was pushed sideways..
So, what kind of bulge do you have?

If you are loading with a die set that includes an expander die, using it may help reduce the crooked seating effect. A way to eliminate the buldge is to adjust your sizing die so that it does not go down quite so far--just a teeny weeny amount of adjustment--but far enough to provide enough neck tension.

The thicker the brass, the more the buldge is.

The Dillon powder dispenser funnels do not expand the brass beyond the case mouth.

The good news is--it is common, and will not likely have a noticeable effect on accuracy.

they pretty much covered it!
there is one more thing though!
it may depend on what type projectile that you are using, lead and plated will many times be a slightly larger diameter than a jacketed/FMJ/ TMC projectile.
so the sizing die may not be increasing the neck case enough, as noted generally not a problem unless well out of whack.

Flashover16, The ammo I reload shoots great. Just wanted to be able to do away with the slight bulge. Are different case sizers available or should I continue going with the one in my RCBS set? Thanks

Flashover16, The ammo I reload shoots great. Just wanted to be able to do away with the slight bulge. Are different case sizers available or should I continue going with the one in my RCBS set? Thanks

Personally as others have mentioned if its not broke then don't try to fix it!
as the 9 MM is a fairly well tapered case and projectiles depending on material vary in diameter its not at all unusual to see a slight bulge where the projectile has been seated.
I wouldn't worry about it, but to answer your question for future info, yes most all companies offer different size expander balls and even different size body dies.

You got good intel so far.

Just beware of the dreaded 9mm conversion to .40 S&W bulge...

9to40-DSC_0012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom