• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm Load For Hipoint Carbine - FINAL RESULTS

So the final results, which are satisfactory for my purposes are as follows:

Powder: Unique
Brass: Mixed
Brass Specs: Not tumbled, cleaned or trimmed and primer pockets not cleaned.
COAL: 1.140 +/- 0.003
Projectile: GA Arms 125 Grn LRN
Primer: CCI SPP
Distance: 50 Yards
Shooting Stance: Prone, Unsupported
Optics: Zero Magnification BSA Red Dot Scope

The Best Performing Charge for my Hipoint 995 Carbine was:
3.5 grn with a final group of 2.133" w/o flyer - Please excuse the flyer as any of you familiar with the hipoint trigger will understand. LOL
[Broken External Image]:

3.6 grn had similar result at just over 2.812"

3.7 and 3.8 were significantly larger and not measured (approximately 6" groups)

3.4 grn also expanded out significantly with only 3 of the 5 bullets hitting the 8.5"x11" (Standard Paper) target. This is also the first load that yielded a failure to feed. Spent case left the chamber but it did not cycle the bolt far enough to pick up the next round.

Conclusion:

For my purposes and goal of obtaining a cheap plinking load for 50 yards or less, I have succeeded. With my current load of 3.5 grn and the 125 grn LRN, I am spending approximately $4.86 per box (50 rounds) of 9mm. I have Minute of Coke Can accuracy at 50 yards with is more than sufficient and there are no signs of leading at these speeds. The weapon functioned flawlessly on all test except the previously mentioned issue with 3.4 grn (which I believe was subsonic).

Dunkel should be getting his chronograph today, so the next time we are able to shoot, I will get velocity data to add to this post. Hope this helps someone out as I had a terrible time finding any firearm specific real life data on this.

Of course... you should do your own research prior to using any data in this thread and as always, YMMV.

- 07JKX

Last edited:
Interesting reading. I have both the 995 and the 40sw version of the hi-point carbines. My son has a Beretta carbine in 40sw as well. We've played with a lot of different loads for all three, but some of the most impressive were 180 grain truncated cone 40sw bullets coated with moly and wax. These were cast from straight wheel weights and water quenched. We finally settled on AA#7 with that bullet for best performance. I don't have the notes on velocity here, but it was substantially higher than the standard pistol loads. Accuracy was good as well. My observation is that if you want to take advantage of the carbine length barrel, a slower burning powder makes a noticible difference. We tried some with AA#9 as well, but the #7 gave the best accuracy and velocity gain without pressure signs in both his Beretta PX4 carbine and my Hi-Point 40sw carbine. The moly coated bullets are so slick that we had to increase the charge to keep the performance consistent and point of aim where we wanted it. With the only difference being the moly coated bullets versus the alox coated bullet, the powder didn't burn as completely unless we raised the charge. Lots of discussion about whether moly coated bullets cause rust in the barrel or not, so we elected to mix with wax and tumble them in a small container with steel shot to help imbed the coating. So far it seems to work ok and we haven't seen any rust appearing after proper cleaning and oiling. Blitzfike

Velocitys for soft lead 800 ft per sec hard lead 900 ft per sec chopper plated up to 1200 ft per sec and some of the thick copper plate up to 1500 copper jacket even higher solid copper up to 4000. Now above these loose listed feet per sec rules you get build up then accuracy fall short. A little trick to clean build up is fire a jacked bullet or two down the barrel after the lead. That should wipe a bit away and make your clean up faster.

I have never had good luck with GA Arms lead bullets---they measure out too small in diameter for my guns. 9mm needs to be at least .356.

I started using cast bullets from Wiedeners' or Bayou, or swagged from Precision.

I'm going to have to look into getting some lead projectiles. Right now with the Rainier 124Gr plated round nose, 5.9 grains of ramshot silhouette CCI #500 primers, casses tumbled but no other prep (other than making sure they are not over length and basic inspection, and de prime and sizing die) I'm getting 2" groups at 50 yards Standing with no assistance and a crappy firesight scope. at about $7.70 a box I'm not too displeased at the price.. and the loads shoot excellent with my Sig P226.

I am going to have to see if I can find some Unique now though and get some lead projectiles. I almost bought the smelting kit today but decided to wait til I bought some lead to experiment with before I dove in head first. Thanks for the bump so I'd see it

Hmm.. I don't see where Georgia arms sells lead bullets or any other 9mm reloading supplies anymore..

Last edited:
ty sir.

I'm thinking about ordering from The Bullet Works.. They have plated ammo for almost the same price as lead ammo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom