• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A Beginner's First Year Hunting Recap

Congrats on the new lease and good job soaking everything in. I'm going to make 2015 my first season. Luckily, my next door neighbor is going to help show me the ropes.

SlowMotion - That's how it starts. Then you realize you don't have any more room in your closet and laundry room because it's filled with hunting gear!

Last edited:
Eventually you will realize that much of deer hunting isn't about killing a deer at all.

Best of luck and welcome to the adventure.

Great comment! Very true! I live in Atlanta and I can't tell you how excited I get to drive 1 hr 20 mins to Dalton just to check my trail cams. It's like opening a pack of baseball cards when you were a kid.

Neat little trick I learned while hunting busy WMA's.

Get in my stand at least an hour before sun up..... Amazing how awesome the woods are in total darkness before the temperature differential but you already know this.
Pick a spot near the beginning of a popular footpath that hunters usually all walk up before dropping off one by one to their spots.
Chuckle to yourself because you know what's coming.
Yep.... I'm about 150yards from my vehicle in my tree all cozy and I've got guys driving deer my way for free and my buddy is 50 yards near an exit route at the bottom of that footpath waiting for the same action...... It's nice to have the escape routes covered.
I've nabbed three deer this way about every other time I've hunted like that.
Helps to know the area, the people paths , the deer paths and the secondary paths the bucks like to take.
I usually camp out about 30 yards from the secondary deer path.
I've also had good luck keeping from getting busted by wearing rubber boots.
Of course scent control is a major factor.
Playing the wind sucks because it changes direction so often in the woods it's almost impossible to get a grasp on at times..... This is where luck comes to play.
Don't forget your small notepad to record details of each individual hunt.
I've got a couple years recorded and can't wait to pass it along to one of my grand kids plus it's great reference material.

I just joined a club, haven't been deer hunting in 20 years. Back then don't recall me or buddies having any success.

Any hot tips for scent control, tree stands, tracking after the shot, gutting? I'm excited to go, but don't want to be a nuissance on the other club members.

Also about to get an ATV since I see how bad i need one after scoping property. Most all the guys have old campers to sleep in, guess I will be in truck or tent since ATV will have me broke :-) .....

Back
Top Bottom