• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Cautionary Tale

moose3840

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
132   0
Reaction score
Debated on whether or not to post this. I figured it would be a good reminder to all. Had a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE today. It was not really Negligent, it was deliberate and aimed and intentional. Had been dry firing a pistol with the magazine out. Popped the magazine back in but did not chamber a round. For some reason I decided I needed to take one last practice shot (dry fire). So I pulled the slide back and let it fly into battery. Got into a good stance. I aimed right between two light switches on the wall. Concentrated on my front sight, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. Surprise Break BAM !!!!!!! Course I knew what happened after the fact. I did not drop the magazine, did not look and feel the chamber for a round to be stuck in there. I did not choose a good backstop etc. Was home alone or I would have been doing this sort of stuff outside. So now I can't hear for squat ! and am reminded of the old days when people shot without hearing protection. Have already replaced the switch plate. Just need to patch the walls, repaint and put up a new piece of vinyl siding. I live in the boonies so where the bullet went when it left the house is not as big an issue as it would have been if I lived in the burbs. The really creepy part of this is the bullet passed through my 17 year old daughter's bedroom, down comforter and pillow. So could have been MUCH worse. She is pretty mad!!! and of course when my wife came home she said she had had a really bad day at work. I became complacent. Moral to this story is BE CAREFUL !!!! IMG_4506 (640x427).jpg

This is exactly why you don't keep live ammo around when dry firing!! You get complacent and bad things happen. Stupid does not even begin to cover it. :doh:

I think you have come up with a replacement for the "Clapper." Instead of clap on... clap off... clap on... the clapper! It would go BANG off... ok that is all it does....

Back
Top Bottom