• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A College Degree may now hurt your chances of getting hired.

We have hired automotive techs straight out of trade school that were told they were ready to conquer the world and have been promised by the schools they would make a boo billion dollars straight out of the gate. They also thought they knew everything there was to know because they also had a piece of paper. Generally they know just enough to be dangerous. Often times those programs are more concerned with pushing numbers through the program than turning out folks ready to work. From time to time you get one that realizes what they don't know and realize they will have to continue to learn that's what you are wanting

That is one of the biggest problems in a computer algorithm world and with AI coming on the scene it will only get worse. Especially when companies not only require a degree but will us AI to figure in your social score, carbon footprint and you inclusivity.
I guess it's a good thing that I own my own business because if my carbon footprint or inclusivity (lack thereof) didn't blackball me, my social score definitely would!

Many people these days come out of the gate with fairly lofty expectations. I've thought about this and listened to what other people had to say about it. The theory that makes sense to me is that, when I was young, my frame of reference was the people in my age group around me. Today, many people are comparing themselves to personalities they find on Instagram who portray an image of affluence with low effort. Whether there's a college degree or not, it's becoming more common to have unrealistic expectations. At least, that's a notion that makes sense to me.

I think a degree has helped me, but never once to get a job. Thankfully, I've done okay in spite of studying something in college that wasn't vocational. It's all been through work experience that began with very low pay.

Many people these days come out of the gate with fairly lofty expectations. I've thought about this and listened to what other people had to say about it. The theory that makes sense to me is that, when I was young, my frame of reference was the people in my age group around me. Today, many people are comparing themselves to personalities they find on Instagram who portray an image of affluence with low effort. Whether there's a college degree or not, it's becoming more common to have unrealistic expectations. At least, that's a notion that makes sense to me.

I think a degree has helped me, but never once to get a job. Thankfully, I've done okay in spite of studying something in college that wasn't vocational. It's all been through work experience that began with very low pay.
I had a supervisor once tell me that a degree gets you better pay when starting a job...experience is what gets you the pay that you want! Unfortunately a lot of people coming out of college miss the whole "experience" thing.

I think your theory is spot on. The internet has been both a curse and a blessing like most technology but the greatest harm it has done (in my opinion) is the false world it has allowed people to create and live in while becoming further removed from reality. The ability to convince people black is white, up is down, right is wrong is the greatest mind control feat in world history. Hitler, Goebbels and Stalin would be stunned and envious if they saw the propaganda that is passed as truth today.

I had a supervisor once tell me that a degree gets you better pay when starting a job...experience is what gets you the pay that you want! Unfortunately a lot of people coming out of college miss the whole "experience" thing.
I had a little over a decade of work experience by the time I finished my 4 year degree at age 22....

Companies hire from the available pool, and the requirements of the job. It would be great if there are more jobs not needing a degree, because college expenses have grown exponentially. A high schooler with opportunities to enter the workforce after graduating, having a mentor to teach them, and being able to become self sufficient ASAP is extremely valuable to our country, and should be incentivized by business owners and local recruiting as much as possible. So should trade school degrees, more local business recruiting and promoting their needs.

I worked with my dad every summer, weekends and holiday breaks doing plumbing as a child. Since the day I turned 16yo I worked part time at an ammunition manufacturing company, an autoclave remanufacturing company, and repossessing cars at night my last two years of college so I could make my morning classes. I had a solid no gap work history at unique companies with references when I graduated. I also finished with a BS in engineering in 4 years by attending summer classes. Very few of my friends in high school or college had an opportunity to work like I did, as I grew up around people in the industrial complex my father's business was in and they trusted me, and my dad would have straightened me out if I ever slacked off. After college it was easy getting a job as I had a good story to sell, but not in my field due to NAFTA signed by Bill Clinton, but that's another story.

I had a little over a decade of work experience by the time I finished my 4 year degree at age 22....
I guess it depends on your definition of work experience. IMHO, There's a difference between learning a work ethic and gaining work experience. I am speaking from experience, I worked with my dad on construction sites from the time that I was old enough to pick up trash and carry scrap lumber. I definitely learned how to work and acquired a solid work ethic, but didn't actually get a lot of work experience.

I guess it depends on your definition of work experience. IMHO, There's a difference between learning a work ethic and gaining work experience. I am speaking from experience, I worked with my dad on construction sites from the time that I was old enough to pick up trash and carry scrap lumber. I definitely learned how to work and acquired a solid work ethic, but didn't actually get a lot of work experience.
I worked my way from golf club cleaner and golf-ball-picker-upper and dishwasher to be a lead/shift server/bartender at a 4 diamond resort. I worked full time in high school and then double full time (2-3 jobs) over the summer breaks, including everything from cleaning grease traps to construction. I would get my **** done appropriately, and learned quickly, I didn't cause a lot of drama, I was reliable in attendance and performance. I was tasked with helping out some very high level people and did a solid job, which certainly lead to other things. I made some money, renovated homes, and banged a pretty significant number of waitresses (and a few restaurant patrons :hat::hungry:) along the way.

That work ethic and experience helped me get where I am today. I'm one of the few I know that worked 40+ hours a week on top of college (pre-med) and med school, graduated everything on time or early, worked 4-6 jobs as needed to get the ball rolling, and set myself up pretty good from the effort.

Now I'm actually rewarded for what I know instead of swinging a hammer, which is good cause I'm not 24 anymore. I think one of the issues is people want to live like I do at 40 without doing the work from 15-40 to get there. There's no job I won't ask a subordinate to do anything I'm not willing to do myself, and on the tough days I'm still the first in, last out, and usually bring donuts for the crew.

Back
Top Bottom